Krakatoa SkinWrap issues (+xMesh)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Krakatoa SkinWrap issues (+xMesh)

Hi.
I have a few problems with krakatoa skin wrap mod.
1) There some strange values when accessing skinwraped object properties from mxs.
$obj.min/max returns invalid values if control object is moving:
create box and sphere inside it, skinwrap sphere to box and animate box motion (+deform it). And you'll get weird min/max.

2)More important problem is with exporting skinwraped object with xMesh. I don't have it right now so can't attach sample scene.
The problem is exporting object in OBJECT space. It still saves in world space but places loader to object position shifting all geometry.
So if i have skinwraped box 10x10x10 units at [100,0,0], bake it with xMesh in object space and load back i will have loader at [100,0,0] and box mesh at [200,0,0].
Options for TMs (Do nothing, Bake etc..) don't help cause xmesh cache is in world space anyway)

3) Skinwraping object to xMesh loader object behaves correctly in viewoprt but is weird at render. I had to bake this skinwraped mesh again and render xMesh cache instead.

is it due to WORLD space nature of krakatoa skin wrap modifier? or just a bug (KSW or xMesh)?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 3ak : 02 February 2013 at 05:53 AM.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by 3ak: is it due to WORLD space nature of krakatoa skin wrap modifier?

Yes. The Krakatoa SkinWrap is clearly labeled as a WSM, and it behaves like any other WSM. It is very easy to test - create a setup with an animated NURBS surface and use a SurfDeform WSM to deform a sphere by it. Then bake in Object space with XMesh Saver and you will get the same result.

The reason is that Object Space is defined from the baseobject through all Object Space Modifiers. Then come the World Transforms which turn the object into world space, and then come the WSMs/SpaceWarp Bindings.
So when evaluating the mesh of such an object, XMesh would either have to stop before the transforms and save only the object space modifiers without the WSMs, or evaluate the whole stack including the Transforms and WSMs, thus producing the equivalent of World Space caching, so you get all the data that's there.

If you are baking an object with World Space Modifiers in Object space, you are doing the wrong thing and XMesh is giving you the next best thing.

What IS a bug is the fact that this is probably not documented anywhere. I will make sure that's fixed ASAP.

02 February 2013
Regarding 1), looks like the .min and .max are double-transformed.
I will log this as a bug against Krakatoa SkinWrap, let's see what the developers think...

02 February 2013
I had a thought i was doing something wrong) Thanks for clarification.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread