Complex(?) Perspective.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2011
Complex(?) Perspective.

Hi all,

I'm trying to improve my perspective drawing, even if I have a basic understanding of it.
I know 1,2 and 3 points perspective, when and how to use them, and I was playing around with some picture trying to get their vanishing points.

I tried to tackle some complex pictures,at least for me, instead of just simple building where you just have to follow the side to get the vanishing points.

So here are some pictures that puzzle me.

I think the first is simplier than the second, but I'm not sure if I am right.

I took a paddy field and used its sides to get a vanishing point.
But if I had to draw it, do I have to make different vanishing point for each paddy, at least for all the field that doesn't have the same direction.
In this one there are a lot.

For the second picture I don't have any idea on how to tackle it.

Thanks

Last edited by PrayingMantis : 03 March 2011 at 10:20 AM.

03 March 2011
woow man thats pretty complex, i would suggest putting the picture as an image plane in any 3d software package and roughly modelling some cubes over it to see different masses and sizes just an idea

04 April 2011
Thanks for the advice, but I was looking for something entirely done in drawing.

For sure your solution could help but I'd like to know the hard way before using any shortcut.

04 April 2011
You want to learn perspective the long way?
Here’s a source that will provide you with the answer to any question you may ever have concerning perspective drawing:

http://handprint.com/HP/WCL/tech10.html

04 April 2011
For one, these two photos are very wide angle. They probably are processed fish-eye photos: you can see both the horizon line and almost down. In addition, the vantage point is extremely high above the ground. You'd have to resort to three-point or "unrolled" perspective to achieve the same effect in drawing, so yes, this is more complex than the standard one.

For two, the rule for vanishing points is very simple. Every set of parallel lines converges on the same vanishing point. That's it.

The problem starts with the complex shapes where you don't have the parallel lines, like here. In this case you can either "fake" it if you can, or use a set of grids plotted at various levels to help you figure the paddies' locations out.

But if you have to ask about the number of vanishing points, you'd be better off practicing on simpler cases for now.

04 April 2011
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread