Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
MarsViper
portfolio
Dominican Republic

Post OpenSource: The first Mars Colony

Hi everyone!
I have friend who is a high-school teacher and wants to motivate his students to consider new fields of study such as science and engineering which are not strongly pursued in the school where he teaches. He has shown many available videos, images and given countless lectures, and the subject were the students have shown the greatest interest has been the future of space exploration.

The project would consist in making a (not so accurate) inspirational video about an automated mars "building".
The general idea is a spaceship that "lands on mars" and drives it self over a crater (currently thinking of Naturaliste, found by the Opportunity rover). It then covers it and does various automated task, among them leveling the floor, covering the contact area between the spaceship and the ground with foam(or something else) to seal it from the exterior, filling the interior with Martian air (mostly CO2) as to elevate the pressure to 1 ATM, etc.

Also the video should detail the progress of the mission as the task or "executed" printing it to screen.

What I'm looking for is people with some spare time on there hands who may want to work on such a subject (may be good for your portfolio). The intention is not to do something 100% plausible just throw some ideas out there to spark creativity among the students who may be interested in pursuing engineering (or 3D modeling, art, etc.). I really would not do much but "direct" the film even tho once all the details of what should happen are known it basically directs its self.

All I have is a simple spaceship that could be used, the most relevant part is the bottom which would play a mayor role. To clarify, the video would also be used to teach details about mars such as length of day, highest and lowest temperatures, pressure, air composition, etc.
There is no deadline, its just a resource we would like to make available. I have done some investigations about the subject and have identified various possible craters that could be used, inorganic salts that could be used for thermal storage, etc. And I will investigate more in depth if the project is undertaken.

If anyone is interested I could detail the general idea (script) to see if its something you would like to pursue. English is not my native language so I apologies in advanced for any misunderstandings.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread