Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
Elpin
Veteran
portfolio
David Slachta
Czech Republic

3dsmax spline IK and wave spacewarp

I'm very new to bone rigging and would need some help.

I need to rig a fish and its movement. I have a spine as a chain of bones and using a splineIK solver with Wave space warp to make the motion.

However the orientation is always very strange. When I bind the spline to a Wave my whole model suddenly jumps upright.

I was trying to make it according to this guy (jump to 3:00 in the movie):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE_UzQWqvTU

I basicaly have the same problem as him. When I turn the spline around I can get the fish horizontal but when I move the wave to make it swim it will start to get really weird.

Since he never figured it out in his video I guess the procedure on how to bind the splineIK to the wave is wrong, right? I'm really newb in this.

Thanks for any tips!

Old 02-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
Archangel35757
Expert
portfolio
Michael Lawler
Engineer
Madison, USA

Maybe look into using a waveform controller to move the IK Spline Knot helpers (see also Spline IK Modifier) in a sinusoidal fashion. Also read about List Controllers in the Help docs.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
Elpin
Veteran
portfolio
David Slachta
Czech Republic

Thanks for the tip!

Old 02-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
Zhalktis
Workaround dept.
portfolio
Julius Gerulaitis
rigging & animation
Kaunas, Lithuania

Or...

You can make a sort of wave engine.

You can separate the wave motion from the spline rig and feed it into rotation list. By separate I mean: have a different spline be deformed by a wave spacewarp, on that spline is a set of equally placed points (using path constraint), the number of points is the same as the number of bones in the fish's spline, for each point there is an expose transform helper that exposes the position of the points, which you can wire into the fish's spline's each bone's rotation axis (on a separate controller in a list controller, so you can "blend" the motion using the weight in the list). This also allows you to control how much bones bend at what length of the spline; just by adding a spline select modifier with soft selection on the wave-deformed spline.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread