PandorasKeyboard
Veteran
portfolio
Jason Nuttall
3d Generalist
The Drawing Room Creative
Heywood, United Kingdom

Maya Muscle Skinning problem.

Hi all, Hope someone can help, I've tried all I can think of with this one. I have a character around 60% Skinned with Maya Muscle 2012. All the rest of the body and muscles work fine, but when I get to the Biceps & Triceps it goes wrong every time, I delete my preferences, I clean the scene, I remake the Muscles over in different ways, yet I always have a similar skinning problem.

This video can explain the problem better than I can.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgkP...eature=youtu.be

As you can see the Bicep skins a little (some problems at the bottom) then crumbles in when you bend the arm, The triceps when skinning never work, the vertices with any weight added just fly off in a random direction.

Any help very much appreciated.
Cheers,

Jason.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #2
JaredTaylor
Technical Artist

portfolio
Jared Taylor
Wellington, New%2BZealand

cgMuscle is a steaming pile of... that autodesk bought and stopped developing. Otherwise it would of actually been useful.

It's filled with bugs and most of the time it just doesn't work. But I did a research paper on it in school and had it working perfectly even with globally scaleable rigs. I used simple muscle builder instead of the muscle creator and instead of setting the squash and stretch I'd use driven keys to manually drive the manual squash and stretch because the automatic bugs out too.

That's the only method I found that wouldn't randomly crash, flip out, or do a backflip into a volcano and die horribly.

It's been quite a while so hopefully my information is accurate.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
PandorasKeyboard
Veteran
portfolio
Jason Nuttall
3d Generalist
Heywood, United Kingdom

Hi, thanks for the help, very nicely worded. Though I also use the simple muscle builder and even before I create the squash and stretch values it still likes to backflip into a volcano around the arms. I've re-created these Biceps so many times but any way I do it the skin always collapses in on them.

Is there a way I can get similar effects within Maya that won't destroy everything? Shame I had this all working well until these arm muscles broke it. I figured out I could stop them twisting by changing the 'up axis' but that also destroys symmetry by flipping them in a weird way. Though I tested the skinning and it still collapses in on them.

Strangely enough now any new muscle I create anywhere on the body will no longer skin properly. I'll try going back many saves ago and see if they ever worked.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
PandorasKeyboard
Veteran
portfolio
Jason Nuttall
3d Generalist
Heywood, United Kingdom

Fixed it! Well I actually went back a load of saves and skinned the biceps first which worked.
I'm hoping I don't run back into this problem.

Also The twisting muscles was happening up the full arm which could've been a cause of some problems, to fix this I changed the Up axis to Z in the muscle parameters window then rotated the controls 90 degrees at each end to get them back to their original position.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
jaccolli
WSMFP
portfolio
Jason Collins
IUPUI School of Informatics
Indianapolis, USA

Similar Problem: Muscle Caving instead of Bulging

I'm having a similar problem. Rotating the controls and changing Up-Axis don't seem to be doing it for me. The muscle appears to be twisting but the controls are not. The main problem is the deformation to the skin mesh is caving instead of bulging. Any thoughts or suggestions? I started with the biceps as the previous post suggested.

Playblast of the issue

Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread