MissOptimist
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Cora Gorospe
Educator/ 3D Artist
Fort%2BLauderdale,

Send a message via AIM to MissOptimist Send a message via Yahoo to MissOptimist
How Do You Come Up With Ideas?

How do you come up with ideas for your original character or environment?
Do you look at pictures that inspire you? Maybe new places you have visited? Person you just met?
What is it that gets your creative juices flowing?

Old 02-03-2013, 04:49 AM   #2
Per-Anders
helper bunny

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Per-Anders Edwards
Developer
The Third Party
USA

Enthusiasm.

That's all there is to it really, either you're enthusiastic for someone, some thing, some concept and that sets your imagination running, or you're not and then you stultify. That's why there are no "new ideas", just evolution and great execution.

So, if I keep a positive mental attitude, stay as open as I can manage, get involved in things, then I get and stay creative. If I don't stir the pot a little, don't move around, don't exercise so I get lethargic, or allow myself to become morose, or get stuck in a rut doing a repetative task or live in a bubble then I lose all my imagination (well apart form the ongoing rather snarky and dry humor, it's kinda impossible to turn that off, it's osme brit cultural thing) and get glum, otherwise it comes from everywhere and anything. Get yourself in the right frame of mind and it just flows as a reaction to allowing things in to blow my mind in the first place.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:12 AM   #3
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

It has never been an issue for me. Given the time it takes to finish one project, I always have quite a backlog of ideas once it's time to start a new one.

The only tricky part is deciding if I'll still like an idea once I've worked on it for weeks or months.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
entropymachine
Frequenter

portfolio
Cristiano Matos
Portugal

It has been answered I'd just add that i think what we call "creativity" is a process that needs to be trained and specially fueled, by getting different inputs that can be anything (books, pics, movies, paintings, going outside and see the weather,meeting and talking to people, playing with the dog, washing the dishes,etc.) so your mind processes all that sensory information and in its extraordinary and unpredictable way produces something: your idea. So the more variety and receptiveness to new stuff, the more critical mass your mind has to work on

"Creativity isn't creation at all, itís reorganization."

Old 02-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
teruchan
Skeleton Man

portfolio
Terrence Walker
The Last King
of Scotland
Shanghai, China

Ideas can come from anywhere. It could be a slight twist or a "what if" added to a news story. It could be an expansion on things you see and experience. I get amazing ideas from my travels. I also look at all the incredible work already done on the various art sites like here, mattepainting.org, Zbrush Central, and other cool galleries.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 02-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
What I like to do is watch a movie, or a video, and play a video game...All of them are unrelated. I go to sleep and then in my dreams all those things will mesh together.

When I wake up in the morning, I write it all down.

Presto! New film idea.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
Lomax
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Jared Lindquist
Technical Animator
Limited Slip Studio
Orlando, United%2BStates

I draw circles and swirls, and occasionally eyes. The swirls might come together as a nice pose, or even as just some random character bit, while the circles usually become the starting point for a head. If I like how a set of eyes turn out, I might then try to figure out what kind of face they belong to.
Beyond that, it could be as simple as taking inspiration from wherever you can get it, then asking yourself "how could I do better?" or "what if it was like this?". Watch a really bad or dated movie with friends some time, and chances are you as a group will come up with ideas for a good movie.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Listen to good music, and dream about novel designs and concepts as you do.

Browse through images in magazines you'd never normally read - for example a magazine about competitive sailing, or about the great outdoors (hiking, mountainbiking and so on).

Also, always carry a small notepad and pen with you.

Whenever you see something inspiring, make a note, a sketch, or maybe take a photograph of it with your smartphone or digital camera.

Read good books - fantasy, scifi, whatever you are into.

Go on Google image search and search for the artworks of famous painters and other artists.

If Google doesn't do it for you, try browsing images with CoolIris:

http://www.cooliris.com/

There is a lot, lot, lot of inspiration in the world!

You only have learn how to look for it, and how to use it in your creative work.

Anything that makes you go, lets say, "wow that's some nice colors", immediately save it to your computer and archive it for later.

I hope that helps a bit?

Good luck with your work!

Old 02-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
Andy1010
Expert

portfolio
Andy Blondin
Art Director
Los Angeles, USA

I highly recommend watching Scott Robertson's youtube channel. This Video on inspirations has so many great ideas. He show many different techniques when it comes to inspiration.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
entropymachine
Frequenter

portfolio
Cristiano Matos
Portugal

Nice video. On a practical example i really prefer to start with something like a random texture (even cloud pictures) and try to pick up shapes from those. Something i learned from Aaron Sims that changed my starting process. A blank page with infinite possibilities had a huge paralyzing effect

Old 02-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
playmesumch00ns
Lord of the posts

render monkey
pretty picture maker
United Kingdom

How do I come up with good ideas? I steal them.

You can have your characters photoreal, fast or cheap. Pick two.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #12
d4rk3lf
Expert

portfolio
Boban Krsmanovic
Nis, Serbia

How about: getting drunk?

Old 02-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

All of the secrets to "true creativity" are in this excellent video presentation by Noam R. Kowalski:

Old 02-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
If you take note of that Astley video you will see the beginnings of the Blue and Orange color scheme that now rules the box office...

... So maybe this video IS the key!

Old 02-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Please, keep juvenile crap like rickrolling (which the title and frame of the video display before you play it, at least here) out of this forum.

Free Maya Nodes

Thread Closed share thread