new 3D package ... need some advice

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #1
new 3D package ... need some advice

Hi guys, first post here, hi to everybody ...

we are a bunch of experienced engineers close to finishing our demo of a new 3D package that has a unique feature compared to other high end tools which is the capability of working with very large scenes (1+ Terabytes), designed to create and work on large seamless worlds.

The world is built ** procedurally ** by the user with scripts and via visual manipulators with a workflow very similar to Houdini.

Assets are loaded from your favourite formats; the world is renderd in real time; it has good realtime rendering and material system and a great UI.

On the other hand we have no mesh modelling, no animation, no offline rendering, no particles.

Basically is an uber procedural scene/level editor.

We are trying to understand if some of you would be interested in our features, or if there are some features that are absolutly a must have (Modelling? Animation? Particles?).

It would be great if some Houdini users could tell us if there is anything that they see in Houdini workflow that should be improved. We are intersted in the opinion of expert users of any 3D package not only Houdini; also, from he the more novice of you we would like to know what do you think is the best way to learn 3D pacakges.

Any other advice on features for us ?

I apologize in advance for the shameless request for help (driven by the desire to build something usefull for you guys)

Thanks.

Old 10 October 2013   #2
Just as a suggestion you might want to change the title a bit to get more attention. Right now it looks like you are "new to 3d" and are "looking for advice". Which is not the case right? Also showcasing what your software can do and then let others make comments on how to improve it is probably a better approach. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Old 10 October 2013   #3
If you appreciate the opinion of Houdini users then asking over on the Side-FX forums would be a good move.

As you have a package that is reliant on other packages then the opinions of Technical Directors could also be of value to you.

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 10 October 2013   #4
I would be happy to offer advice, but not anything to go on yet, except what
you have written. Is there a video, feature list, screen captures, beta or something that
can be used to help evaluate your app?

I am a longtime Softimage and Maya user. I will be glad to offer my thoughts if I can
have something to help me put in context what you are asking.

Take care,

Perry

VFX artist, animator, modeler, simulate, professor and engineer
Pixel Monkey for 26+ years

http://www.theafterimage.com

@rendertwit

Old 10 October 2013   #5
Agreed. The title is misleading.

Originally Posted by thrivingartist: Just as a suggestion you might want to change the title a bit to get more attention. Right now it looks like you are "new to 3d" and are "looking for advice". Which is not the case right? Also showcasing what your software can do and then let others make comments on how to improve it is probably a better approach. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Old 10 October 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread