rendering print sized images?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
rendering print sized images?

Hi,
my customer asked me for an print size image from an old project which is 3x5 meter big. i calculated as 300dpi image so phosthop told me that i should render a 35400x50000 sized image where we are starting to have problems.
if i try ti render it in viewport maya crashes. If i try to batch render it with a clean memory i get 1x1 pixel image as a result without any warning. i send same file into a farm but results are the same.
How can i handle this? this is kind a common question on forum but non of them has a clear answer.
Kind regards.

Old 06 June 2013   #2
tile render it or render it in chunks an piece together. Hope that helps

Old 06 June 2013   #3
The rule of thumb you are probably thinking of is usually to have the DPI be twice the line screen for the size it needs to be printed. Generally the highest resolution a 4/C offset press can print is 150 line screen so people always ask for 300dpi. The actual formula provides that you only truly need 266dpi and the rest is overkill.

The question you should be asking is how far will it be seen from? Billboards 4-6m are generally 30dpi or less. You'd be surprised how strange they look close up but from the correct distance they look perfect. -Derryl

Old 06 June 2013   #4
I can almost guarantee you that your 3m x 5m print will *NOT* be printed at 300 dpi. Most likely WAY less. Get the printer's contact details from your client and discuss the matter directly with them. You'll be glad you did.

Last edited by royg : 06 June 2013 at 09:08 AM.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Originally Posted by thehive: tile render it or render it in chunks an piece together. Hope that helps

is there a script for this operation or some command maya itself?

Originally Posted by royg: I can almost guarantee you that your 3m x 5m print will *NOT* be printed at 300 dpi. Most likely WAY less. Get the printer's contact details from your client and discuss the matter directly with them. You'll be glad you did.

yea it turns out it is 150 dpi. which is something. thanks

Old 06 June 2013   #6
there is a script running around not sure where off hand also i think at render farms u can send the one image an there system should be able to stitch it depending on the render managment system they have. should cost much to do one large image.

Old 06 June 2013   #7
If rendering with mental ray:

addAttr -ln regionRectX -at long mentalrayGlobals;
addAttr -ln regionRectY -at long mentalrayGlobals;
addAttr -ln regionRectWidth -at long mentalrayGlobals;
addAttr -ln regionRectHeight -at long mentalrayGlobals;

Then that drops these controls on your mentalrayGlobals, you can select it using the Select by Name in the menu bar.

You give it a start x and y and then how big in x and y.

Make sure to do some pixel overlap if using FG or there will be seams.

Not sure about other render solutions.

Old 06 June 2013   #8
Usually an image that big will require 100-150dpi or less. Contact the print shop before starting to render.

Old 06 June 2013   #9
hey
thanks for all the answers. you guys are right, i was wrong about dpi issue. when i set it 150dpi i rendered with no problem. But i will try other methods for future problems.
Thank you.

Old 06 June 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread