VFX Breakdown for short film After The Rain

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
VFX Breakdown for short film After The Rain

Take a look at our visual effects breakdown for our short film After The Rain. Along with the breakdown video is a detailed article on how we did it. But if you have any other questions do not hesitate to ask!

http://aftertherain.moscamedia.com/...ects-breakdown/

Old 11 November 2012   #2
good stuff i love it

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Very well done indeed!

After watching this breakdown, I can't wait to enjoy the short movie this evening, in the right atmosphere. I hope this video hasn't spoiled too much of the story!

I recognize some videocopilot techniques, you managed to integrate them very well in the look of your short movie. I particularly enjoyed the rain drops on the sidewalk.

Looking forward to seeing more works of yours!

Old 11 November 2012   #4
Originally Posted by galloalessandro: Very well done indeed!

After watching this breakdown, I can't wait to enjoy the short movie this evening, in the right atmosphere. I hope this video hasn't spoiled too much of the story!

I recognize some videocopilot techniques, you managed to integrate them very well in the look of your short movie. I particularly enjoyed the rain drops on the sidewalk.

Looking forward to seeing more works of yours!

Grazie Alessandro!

Really hope you enjoy it. And comments or criticisms will be welcome.
Integrating tutorials to your own film is always a challenge, you don't want to make it look exactly like the tutorial (which is what I noticed recognizing the same tutorials on other films).

You seem to understand your english, but you want I have an Italian subtitled version

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Hi Marco,

I've watched the short movie last night, nice twisted ending!
I understood the English version, but it will be easier to pass it to my friends if you have an Italian subtitled version online, as you mentioned. The dark/noir setting and the voice-over remind me of the mood in the first Max Payne videogame, which I liked a lot at the time.

Just a small note: I don't know if it's an artifact of the encoding, but in some sidewalk scenes the rain looks to me a bit slower than it would be in reality. Maybe I would increase gravity in the particle system, but it's just a personal opinion.

I've recently struggled with CG rain myself in a music videoclip and, although the desired look was comic-like, not realistic, I found it is not immediate to tweak rainfall, shutter phase, etc.

Well done anyway!

Old 11 November 2012   #6
That was really good to watch. Anyone not knowing how this stuff is done will like the way you walk them through the process.

Old 11 November 2012   #7
Originally Posted by galloalessandro: Hi Marco,

I've watched the short movie last night, nice twisted ending!

Thank you Alessandro!
The CG rain was definitely a struggle, especially to keep it consistent throughout the shots. I had to slow it down in some places to actually make it visible, but I understand what you mean.

Here is the version with the Italian subtitles, please keep in mind that I wrote it quickly and never had a chance to review it, so the translation might not be at its best. (Need to turn the Italian CC on)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a361...=2&feature=plcp

Old 11 November 2012   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread