Mudbox 2013 issues with UV seams

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #1
Mudbox 2013 issues with UV seams

I'm having a really strange issue with UV seams in Mudbox 2013 SP2 (x64)

Basically, I'm getting visible seams when I paint, but not all the time. If I open a scene fresh and import the OBJ file and use the Mudbox material, all is well most of the time.

However, if I change the Gigatexel Engine settings OR assign a new Mudbox material, then paint, that's when the seams begin to show up.

It really is strange and Mudbox 2012 SAP does not have this issue with the same model, no matter how hard I try to make it happen.

I should add that in MB 2013 I can replicate this 100% of the time, with the same model, and so far all other models I've tested it with.

I'm honestly baffled. Unfortunately I cannot share this model for anyone to inspect, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had seam issues in Mudbox 2013 SP2.
Again though, there's nothing wrong with the UVs or too close to the borders or anything like that, and Mudbox 2012 paints it just fine, no visible seams at all.

Last edited by twosheds : 08 August 2012 at 10:04 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #2
How much poly does the object have.? Try to increase the polycount for the paint proxy object in the prefs.

Old 08 August 2012   #3
Originally Posted by oglu: How much poly does the object have.? Try to increase the polycount for the paint proxy object in the prefs.

Not very hi-res at all, about 40,000 polygons. I'm not sculpting this object, only painting on it.
It seems to be a display issue more than anything, since if I export the textures and then apply them to the model in Softimage, they render just fine, no visible seams.
And since I'm using an nvidia GTX 560 (2 GB vRAM), I can't report it as a bug, since Autodesk will just tell me I should be using a Quadro.

However, as I said I can replicate it every time I try to, but I also know how to prevent it - don't make any changes to the Gigatexel Engine settings and don't assign a new Mudbox material and all is well.

Plus, I can live with it as long as it's not causing the exported textures to have visible seams, although the cause of this is still baffling me. I'm guessing it could well be a video driver issue, but I'm not going to spend a bunch of time trying other drivers for what I now consider to be a minimal problem.

Last edited by twosheds : 08 August 2012 at 07:08 AM.

Old 08 August 2012   #4
please report it as bug...
in the mudbox help menue --> report a problem

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Originally Posted by oglu: please report it as bug...
in the mudbox help menue --> report a problem

Well I'm not yet ready to assume it's a Mudbox problem, as I've had some other strangeness recently too.
I've just built a completely new PC and reinstalled Windows 7 fresh. I haven't gotten around to reinstalling Mudbox yet but I suspect I won't have this problem after I do.
I was starting to have some other strange problems too, not just Mudbox.

but if this problem persists I will report it as a potential bug. Although if it IS a bug, I'm betting it's a video card/driver bug and Autodesk isn't going to do jack about it unless it affects Quadros.

They know full well that way more than half of the people using their producst are using game cards but they continue to insist on supporting only Quadros.
Even The Foundry supports certain models in the nvidia GTX 500 and 600 Series.

Old 09 September 2012   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread