artists with depression?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #106
Originally Posted by Ruramuq: [...]
I'm reading anger in some posts, based on the opinion, that depression is a physical problem in the brain..
[...]
There is an imbalance, but that's usually not the source its the symptom.
[...]
broken bones is physical, depression is mental. get that in your head!
I would use computers as an analogy.. hardware is physical, and software is psychological/mind.
[...]

Science is not an opinion.
Your opinion is an opinion.
Please seperate these two.

Originally Posted by Ruramuq: [...]
Rationally understanding a problem is a big help. Negation is not.
[...]

Please follow your own advice. Do some rational and objective research.
I'm sure you mean well and I understand what you're trying to say, it's just frustrating to read this because most of it shows lack of information.

Old 07 July 2013   #107
Ruramuq, you clearly have very, very little knowledge or understanding of depression, and clearly don't grasp the difference between "feeling blue" and clinical depression, which is physical. Or do you think that chemicals in the brain are just a figment of our imagination? Serotonin? Dopamine? Have you ever even heard of these? Somehow I think not. Do you think the mind works on some other plane other than the physical? It's all physical. Chemicals, neurons, the brain is a physical entity and so are its processes.

The pseudoscientific, woo garbage that's been peddled in this thread is absolutely astounding.

I think it's time for people to actually stick to the subject at hand - ie their experiences as artists dealing with depression problems - than continue trying to peddle quackery and woo. Honestly, the level of ignorance on display here is almost offensive. Like the poster above said, science is not an opinion. If you can't deal with that, then go rant somewhere else.

It'd be a shame to have to close this thread because of the persistent efforts of certain people to derail it with their ignorant pontificating and arrogance. Although I guess many of the replies here have indeed demonstrated how and why people with depression so often fear to tell others (something the OP asked about) - because they're just going to lecturered about how it's all just in their mind and that they need to snap out of it. QED, rather tragically.

I'm hardly surprised the OP hasn't bothered replying.

Old 07 July 2013   #108
Come on guys, I asked you to please stay on topic. If you continue ignoring that, this thread is going to end up getting closed.

Old 07 July 2013   #109
Actually quite refreshing to go back to the OP...
Originally Posted by superhooman: and I guess one of the other big questions is: do u tell your employer about it?

I'd say yes, at least that way you have a good idea what kind of support to expect from him/her in the long run. This might be problematic in some situations, but IMHO it beats getting "found out" at a later time.
Are people in the creative world more accepting of mental health problems than the corporate world, or are we just as susceptible to stigma?

Read this whole thread...

Old 07 July 2013   #110
Iīm 100% on leigh on this one.
Having a family story with depression/bipolar disorder that actually ended in suicide, I can easily relate to everything exposed by leigh. I gotta add one thing that is key. People with depression actually look and seem to act like they donīt want to get better. That makes the understanding of their surroundings a lot harder. They get better for a while, and if medication isnīt quite spot on, the chemicals will adapt and everything goes back to the unbalanced fashion that the brain has set as normal. And then they seem to choose being "with the blues", when it actually is far from being a choice. But, everyone else perceive it this way, and that makes them believe that the person with depression is just being negative (hence, all that useless advice about shaking it off, as if you had a cold or something).

Anyway, thanks for the short film actually, it was absolutely awesome!

Old 07 July 2013   #111
Originally Posted by superhooman: ...but I have been wondering how many of you may deal with depression issues, and how you manage to balance that with your work? With stress and deadlines being a big part of our jobs, does depression make these even harder to deal with? Do you miss a lot of work days? what about medication? do you find this improves things or takes away ur creativity? I know a lot of studies have shown that depression is particularly common with creative people so i am guessing if thats true then there may be quite a lot of people here who deal with it, and am interested to hear your experiences.

and I guess one of the other big questions is: do u tell your employer about it? Are people in the creative world more accepting of mental health problems than the corporate world, or are we just as susceptible to stigma?

If you hadn't already read my post SuperHooman, you are welcome to contact me via private message.

Last edited by winship : 07 July 2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Additional Comment

Old 07 July 2013   #112
Originally Posted by JWRodegher: Iīm 100% on leigh on this one.
Having a family story with depression/bipolar disorder that actually ended in suicide, I can easily relate to everything exposed by leigh. I gotta add one thing that is key. People with depression actually look and seem to act like they donīt want to get better. That makes the understanding of their surroundings a lot harder.

That's a very good point.
My wife has suffered from clinical depression for her whole life, often she seems to "wallow" in being depressed. However, I know from when she has a really good day, that is not the case, she often feels trapped inside, railing against the person she is seeing and what they are saying. When the balance is out, there is little you can do.
As for medication, it isn't a perfect solution, there have been several drugs she has had which, though they improve her initially, have the opposite result after a longer period.
Thankfully we now have a drug she doesn't have to take every day, which balances things out. Alas her MS medication makes it more difficult as they have sometimes fought against each other so it is depression relief vs MS management.
As for her being creative, yep, natural born artist, she only bothered getting her O level art at 30+ simply as she had never done it. I'd kill to draw anywhere near as good as her, even since her MS robbed her of fine motor function, she can "sketch" in a minute or two better than I could after hours!
I have always believed, to be a bit "hippy-ist", that creativity and depression go hand in hand, it may be somewhere down the line, they find a link that means one part of the brain demands more chemicals and signals, so another part suffers a lack of those chemicals. That would not surprise me one iota.

Old 08 August 2013   #113
I don't think what you're experiencing is depression and this post just adds to the many misconceptions about how to deal with depression.

Originally Posted by janekd: and maybe this is strange for you - I think that sometimes depression is good. If depression is caused by deep thinking about big problems then depression can be first stage to bringing good solution. If we saw problem and we go behind and don't trying fight with problem because we scare then we probably don't experience depression. But if we fighting with problems - then sometimes this can put us into depression.

For me depression isn't problem. I sometimes experience something what can be named as depression but always this depression is tool for me to rethinking my life.

Old 08 August 2013   #114
+1 to this, I was looking for the reasons for how I was feeling in all the wrong places.

Your thinking part of the brain understands that you should not be feeling this way but you still do. That's one of the hard parts of it all.

Originally Posted by Rusch: I spent about 10 years believing that everything else was the problem. For example wrong job, bad relationship, terrible boss, no money etc. So I went about changing all those things. I now have a great job, great relationship (getting married on Sunday), consistently getting top grades on MA course and no money worries I thought things would balance out. But they haven't it's only now when everything else in my life was great that I realise the depression must be down to medical reasons and nothing to with lifestyle. That was quite a revelation.

Old 08 August 2013   #115
This is a very good point. It's a struggle for those who are close to you because even if they KNOW this it's hard to act rational with people behaving this way. You somehow just want to tell them to "get over it" even though they know it's not really about that.

Originally Posted by JWRodegher: People with depression actually look and seem to act like they donīt want to get better. That makes the understanding of their surroundings a lot harder.

And then they seem to choose being "with the blues", when it actually is far from being a choice. But, everyone else perceive it this way, and that makes them believe that the person with depression is just being negative (hence, all that useless advice about shaking it off, as if you had a cold or something).

Old 08 August 2013   #116
Originally Posted by Obizzz: I don't think what you're experiencing is depression and this post just adds to the many misconceptions about how to deal with depression.

While it doesn't strike me as a description of "clinical depression" either,
we all know (by now) depression comes in many different guises.
Diagnosing each other based on forum posts
"adds to the many misconceptions" as well, I'm afraid.

Thread Closed share thread