Moving points behind objects

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2006   #1
Moving points behind objects

Hey All,

Excuse the newby question, but.. I'm trying to shape the points of an eyelid around a sphere. Where the lid and eyeball intersect I can't drag those points. Any tips on how you guys do this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Doug Macary

Old 01 January 2006   #2
Meaning you cannot select them in order to drag them?

It occurs to me 2 ways

One, is to hide the faces that are in front of the vertices you are using

Two, viewing the object as a transparent object, select with the middle mouse button. In case you have a two button mouse, you can of course reassign that to a keyboard+mouse click combination.

Old 01 January 2006   #3
If I am reading this right your are having troubling selecting things thru other objects(or very near them)?
Use the Middle mouse button to click and select "Select Thru" instead of left click "Select Visible". I think this is the default settings.

Old 01 January 2006   #4
Nope,

I just tried it. I have a sphere which is ghosted. I have a ring of polygons that will become an syelid. I f I move one of the points too far so that it descends into the sphere, I cannot move it, even with the middle mouse button pushed. I checked the mouse set up for the middle button and it reads -Select Thru new-.
I don't think that I should have to move the entire ring away from the sphere in order to move the points around. Thanks you guys for the help, but I'm still stuck-literally.

Doug

Old 01 January 2006   #5
If you drag verts over the guide sphere using the centre handle of the snapping manipulator - they will not pass through the faces of the sphere. This actually works in tweak mode too - so you can hold control and drag verts around snapping them to the sphere's surface without the manipulator being visible.

Old 02 February 2006   #6
Nice tip Cinnsealach, it never uccured to me to use that.

Another method would be to select the edge that the vertex is on (assuming you can do that), convert the selection to vertices (shift+a) and then de-select the one you don't want selected.

Old 02 February 2006   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread