understanding the "concept" of zbrush workflow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2007
understanding the "concept" of zbrush workflow

hi been using zbrush 3 while and while im getting results in specific areas im finding understanding the workflow is hard....

so here as my questions

1 can anyone outline a general workflow for zbrush modelling?

2 i want to start learning painting, textures and uv mapping (i think thats the right term? i want to load a primitive shape in zbrush, export the texture, draw on the texture in photoshop and import it back onto my object in zbrush (hopefully without having to re-topolise or anything?) any links/help here welcome... i just want to find a method which i can use to polypaint the basics in zbrush, export and finnish the texture in photoshop and import it back into zbrush, to get my final texture mapped automatically to where i want it etc...

3 as i understand because of a few zbrush 3 bugs i need to use blender to do certain things? (accordign to the video tutorials by jason welsh) can i not retopolise in zbrush? and are there any "auto re-topolise" type features, id REALLY like to avoide having to jump to another program to re-topolise and tbh... id rather just avoid re-topolising completely.. tho i realise that would be bad practice, i just think surely if im happy at the end and wanted to, i coudl just re-topolise then? as re-topolising a model you dont end up liking/using seems like a total waste of time & effort etc...

thanks in advance any help appreciated!

12 December 2007
I would recommend the table of content (aka help) on ->zbrush.info

About the retopo.
I havent watched that tutorial. But afaik the tools works fine, even thought it can be really tricky and time consuming to use in the small areas. But I think you have misunderstood the concept. See it as a modelling tool, not as an additional step in the process, you have the ability built a simple base in just a few minutes, then sculpt it in zbrush, and if you like what it has become you retopo it and you have a perfectly useful lowpoly mesh.

Also, if you already have a good base mesh which you decide to tweak and sculpt in zbrush to, your topolgy is probably already near perfect, then you can just use the topology tool to tweak the loops to match the new model. It sort of allows you to see a possible final result without wasting too much time.

12 December 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread