|12 December 2008|
Help please - Super Mutant CG Replica Inspired by Fallout 3
Hello everybody =D I am kind of new here as you can see this is my first post. I have been lurking in the forums for quite a while and found it a great resource site and help. So, I decided to join
I am currently playing Fallout 3 on my ps3 over the winter-winter break and for some reason I tend to find Super Mutants interesting monsters. They're very humanoid-like but yet monstrish at the same time. I am trying to sharpen up my 3D modeling skills and I have decided to model a "Super Mutant" and use Fallout 3 as my inspiration. When I started (Which was 1 hour ago) I ran into many problems... and here they are
1) I can't find any good reference images for the super mutants and yes I want to make them look like exactly the way they are expect in uber full fledge cg graphics instead of the game's engine.
Here is what I used
2) Everytime I try to start shaping out the flat block parts, I can never get the shape right...I don't know if its me or the lack of reference images.
3) When I started modeling the neck-to-head part it became problematic because their neck is very short but it has a lot of detail...so it was hard for me to start...
Here is how I started
1) I started with the torso...
2) Aligned the Edges prior to the extursion of the shoulders/arms, waist/legs, neck/head
3) Ended because everything after that became kaboom.
Here is a picture of the reference I used...again...
and this is how i tried to shape it out...
If anyone has Fallout 3 on PC and can use some cheats and print screen the Super Mutants in a better pose from the front/back/side I would be very grateful.... I will try to get better reference tommorow with my 1080p camera but problem is my game is on the ps3 so I will have to the hard way lol...
Oh and also... Would Bethesda have a problem with me re-creating their game character in a CG format? It's not for commercial use or anything....maybe as a portfolio thing or just a fun project thingy and helping myself to get better.
If anyone has any tips on how I should have started this or what I should change/do please tell me
my aim is - rageofwar2009 or just post here and PM me but i'd prefer a one-to-one conversation over a IM program as it makes things much faster and easier.
Anyway appriciate it all ^_^
Happy New Year...