Stop Staring 3 Shelf Mel Does Nothing

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Stop Staring 3 Shelf Mel Does Nothing

Hi there. I've recently purchased 3rd edition of Jason Osipa's "Stop Staring: Facial Modeling and Animation Done Right" and it's been a really good read.
Until that is when i tried to load the script file "ss3_controls.mel" included in the book to which nothing happened.
The command line clearly reads "ss3_controls;" so the script it self was properly loaded.

There's also a similar thread posted here by joel3d a few years back. He had the exact same problem but with the 2nd edition. The thread concludes with joel saying he found the SS2 shelf in the scripts folder. I don't know what he meant by that because there wasn't any scripts folder in the resource folders nor in the project folder.

I have no idea whether it's a problem in the script itself or some other steps i should be doing.
I assume that there are many others who have read this wonderful book and if so a simple guidance would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. The software is Maya 2012

Old 07 July 2013   #2
Hi Zixess, im having the exact same problem than you, I was wondering if you found the solution and could finally get the ss3_shelf to do something
thanks! I'd appreciate your answer

Old 07 July 2013   #3
Hey, PandaCG.
I've been recently fiddling with this problem and found a way for the shelf tool to start working, so here it is.

First, you need to put all the python file (SS3Utls.py etc) in the proper directory because the MEL script needs to import these files in order to work.

To know which directory Maya references, execute the following python script in the script editor. Source: http://www.hdrlabs.com/cgi-bin/foru...?num=1327345775

import sys
import pprint
pprint.pprint(sys.path)

This will print a bunch of paths. The final path, which should be something like this

[Username]/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/scripts (Mac)
[Username]/Documents/maya/scripts (Win)

is the directory we want to put the python files. I haven't tested this on windows so no guarantee.

Now, all you need to do is load the shelf_SS3.mel, execute, and then enter

shelf_SS3

in the command line and voila, all the tools will appear in their new shelves. If not, they might appear below the script editor for some reason. Happened to me anyway.

I've tested the "inv" and "top" tool and there seems to be some problems in the inverse blend weight procedure in the python file. I might look into it when i have more time.

Hope this helps.

Old 07 July 2013   #4
Thanks! it finally loaded correctly, a little bit strange because all the icons appeared in the script editor but I just put them all in a shelf and they work perfectly.

Thank you Zixess

Old 07 July 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread