Frequenter

portfolio
Anthony Scime
Illustrator,Graphic designer,concept artist
The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale, USA

Send a message via MSN to amscime
Bump in the Night

Hey guys! this got declined from the regular 2D gallery, Kind of the norm now unfortunately. It seems the new favorite of the judges are female warriors, female elves, female space cadets, and female portraits...anyways here is the description.

I wanted to do a type of creature that looks as though it may have been human at one point. The scene where this guy hangs out is up in the attic, creeping around and hiding behind the beams. All painted in Photoshop with some texture brushes used on the skin and wood beam. Thanks!

I thought to come here and share it with you guys. Any feedback would be great!

Old 02-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #2
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Teacher
Lincoln, USA

I probably would've voted for it. I haven't been voting for a while though, since I've been extremely busy with teaching the workshop, moving across the globe, and when I have time, I try to help out with WIP critiques since we don't have nearly enough quality critiques in the forum.

The composition could probably be a bit more interesting. It's hard though, with such a simple premise that doesn't allow for a lot of creative framing of the subject. If this was my artwork, I'd have tried to inject a more interesting premise, or more interesting lighting, or picked a more interesting camera angle/framing. Even just framing it more along the guidelines of the rule-of-thirds or golden ratio would help I think.

While all artists want to think that they can do away with the classical guidelines of composition, thinking they're more creative than the hundreds of years of artistic knowledge put together by tens of thousands of accomplished artists, the reality is that very few artists can go against the collective wisdom of accomplished artists and still turn out a great composition. Clever composition that surprises us and still works very well, while going against all the classical guidelines, is more of a talent/instinct than a skill, and generally, I think unless you see yourself as an artistic genius, it's best to heed the wisdom of the classical composition guidelines.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread