10 things that are still difficult to render !?!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

1 Week Ago
10 things that are still difficult to render !?!

Hello to hall, having a look at the latest ACM transaction of graphicshttp://tog.acm.org/ I was thinking about what is still a challenge to render for still images and animation and what are the hot topics about rendering. my choice not in order of priority
- rendering in VR. (if VR will survive its Hype)
- realtime raytracing
- keeping optimize Monte Carlo methods
- increasing the quality and speed of Volume rendering
- having a more shared shaders workflow ? (probably this is a dream)
- improving SSS rendering (Renderman and Arnold have both upgraded their SSS shaders )
-Multispectral rending ?
I will be very happy to hear your take on this topic and to also see your opinion posted in the LC subforum on theGeneral Discussion Thread

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by jojo1975: - realtime raytracing

My guess is that AMD Radeon ProRender will eventually become a hardware accelerated realtime ray tracing/path tracing engine.

AMD has nothing to gain financially from giving people a completely free GPU rendering solution. They are paying highly trained engineers to build it, but getting no money at all in return.

I believe that ProRender, if it becomes used widely enough in CAD, DCC, Archviz and other fields because it is capable free to use, will be eventually paired with AMD GPUs that have hardware raytracing circuitry built in.

In other words, when you pair ProRender with the right AMD GPU - probably a more expensive FirePro card - you'll get special GPU hardware that is designed to fire rays into a 3D scene MUCH faster than anything vanilla CPU/GPU can.

Let's see if I'm right in that prediction. I can see no other reason why AMD would go to the expense of providing a free rendering engine for everything from Max to C4D to Blender.

Imagination had working realtime raytracing GPUs for mobile games, and may be creating a desktop equivalent as we speak.

Then there is Otoy's Bridgade renderer, which has been in development for a while.

That may become a cloud-only solution from the looks of it, but then again Otoy are also working with Imagination to see if their realtime raytrace hardware is suitable for Octane/Brigade.

Intel's Altera FPGAs, which will be included in future Xeon processors, can also realtime raytrace. Intel has shown demos before that can be seen on Youtube.

If everyone in the industry goes in this direction, I'm guessing that ARM and Qualcomm will also jump on the realtime raytracing bandwagon eventually.

Why hardware realtime raytracing at all?

If VR is supposed to be a trend that goes strong for the next 30 years and makes tens of billions of Dollars every year, hardware realtime raytracing is absolutely essential to giving people a photoreal looking VR experience.

You just cannot cannot give people that experience with today's Nvidia/AMD GPUs and the few shading tricks they can pull off.

Truly realistic looking VR requires realtime raytracing or even path tracing.

Building the hardware for this is no big deal. Imagination has done it before. There's nothing technically that stops Intel, AMD, ARM, Qualcomm and others from doing it also.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sea...time+raytracing

5 Days Ago
"- rendering in VR. (if VR will survive its Hype)"

Most non techy lay people (whose consumer spending with make or break any new tech toy),
are NOT interested in any VR that is not on the level of the the Star trek holodeck.

no goofy helmets/goggles please.

5 Days Ago
Noise free hair...fast.

reply share thread