When you flip your painting and...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2008
When you flip your painting and...

... it looks all weird and distorted.

Does this mean u did a bad job with the perspective and compositiong etc?

Is this why some artists often flip their images when they are painting...?

09 September 2008
Yes, that's exactly why people do it. When you're painting or drawing something, your mind gets used to all the mistakes that are going into it, and you become unable to see even obvious problems. By flipping the image, or leaving it alone for a while and coming back to it later, you break out of that familiarity and can see the mistakes again.

Block out things in low detail to set the main elements in place and check that before adding in detail. That way you won't be "almost done" and then realize everything is out of perspective.

09 September 2008
Talking

thanks alot velenosangue!

thats actually a pretty cool tip, haha i have been flipping all my paintings and they all make me dizzy when i look at them.

09 September 2008
I've been doing the flipping thing ever since about the late 80's when I first read about it, and I've been passing that piece of advice along my entire career. It's so useful and I'm genuinely surprised how few people know it. IMO this should be taught in every single drawing class--regardless if it's an art school or some free lessons at the local community center.

I have always attributed the phenomenon to our bias of being right or left handed. My guess is that based on that bias, our brain process muscle/visual data with slight differences, cause us to always draw slanted when using our biased hand, and when you flip the image horizontally, you immediately see the result of that bias.

10 October 2008
I thout everydody knows it 0o

Also, if you ever draw a person upside-down check it in normal position. We tend to let lot bad things pass when we draw upside-down.

10 October 2008
Lol, before i got my tablet and going digital, i was using a hand mirror to check for mistakes, good times huh -.-~

10 October 2008
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread