Snowpiercer Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #16
I really enjoyed "I saw the Devil". Haven't heard anyone mention it before.

I also heard "The Man From Nowhere" is pretty good. It is next on my list.

Last edited by Phrenzy84 : 07 July 2013 at 06:46 AM.

Old 07 July 2013   #17
Originally Posted by Lunatique: Can't save both, dude. You know how this must end.

Ah! This is too much! I will not reveal my choice here... for the others I guess I will just have to pay a trip to Stepford. lol!

Old 07 July 2013   #18
Originally Posted by kelgy: The class struggle element is what makes my eyes roll.

I like trains in snow movies--Horror Express, Runaway Train, even Terror Train, but the stories were about more than sticking it to the Man. This class struggle theme we keeping seeing lately reminds me of those 80s commercials with the bald guy jogging through a stadium and throwing a coke can (or whatever product they were selling) at a giant 1984-style dictator on a tv screen.

Giant train in snow--good
class rebellion--please not again

Whereas I, on the other hand, can never get enough good class struggle films, or guy going native type films (Dances With Wolves, Avatar), or even slave revolt films. (One of the biggest complaints I heard about what Stargate tuned out to be)

For those who want to try some out there Korean films, I recommend trying Kim Ki Duk's films. Stuff like Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring i is pretty out there. So far, I loved all the films I have seen from him. Haven't seen anything after 2009, when I left Korea, though. Just beware, if you're looking for something even close to conventional, this ain't it.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 07 July 2013   #19
Originally Posted by teruchan: Whereas I, on the other hand, can never get enough good class struggle films, or guy going native type films (Dances With Wolves, Avatar), or even slave revolt films. (One of the biggest complaints I heard about what Stargate tuned out to be)

I didnt think Avatar was a good class struggle film (havent seen Dances with Wolves--American westerns dont appeal to me--though I finally found one I liked fairly well Breakheart Pass- also set on a train funny enough). Or rather Avatar wasnt about 2 groups in the same culture so it wasnt quite the same thing.
I liked Spartacus but its both historical based and doesnt end in a Star Warsy fashion.

Last edited by kelgy : 07 July 2013 at 02:42 PM.

Old 07 July 2013   #20
Originally Posted by Phrenzy84: I really enjoyed "I saw the Devil". Haven't heard anyone mention it before.

I also heard "The Man From Nowhere" is pretty good. It is next on my list.

I Saw The Devil is one relentlessly disturbing film. One of the best genre films I have ever seen. And so is Memories of Murder (Joon Ho Bong's finest work in my opinion). Kim ki Duk is another must watch Korean director. Most of these good Korean directors do seem to pick themes that are slightly off kilter (like some of their Japanese counterparts) but they manage to pull it off well most of the times. I'm looking forward to this one too although I'm sure it's been hollywoodized to a large extent.

Old 08 August 2013   #21
Snowpiercer is the biggest hit movie in Korean history

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/cul...2002500315.html
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 08 August 2013   #22
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: 111
http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/cul...2002500315.html

That is very good news!

This is the sort of development we need happening now around the world to trigger new growth in the film and VFX world.

Old 08 August 2013   #23
(US RELEASE NEWS)

According to film critic and programmer Tony Rayns "TWC people have told Bong that their aim is to make sure the film 'will be understood by audiences in Iowa ... and Oklahoma.'" Effectively, the notorious Hollywood executive believes the American mid-west is too stupid for Snowpiercer, a movie which essentially chronicles the journey of a few people at the back of a train who stage a revolt and proceed, in a straight line, towards the front.

Rayns continued, "Leaving aside the issue of what Weinstein thinks of its audience, it seems to say the least anomalous that the rest of the English-speaking world has to be dragged down to the presumed level of American mid-west hicks." The film critic attended the July 29th Seoul premiere of the film, and after speaking with Bong, revealed that most of the cuts would come in the form of character detail, effectively turning this rich Sci-Fi thriller into a straightforward action film. Adding further insult to injury, voiceovers will now be added to the opening and closing of the film.

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/08/weins...nowpiercer.html
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 08 August 2013   #24
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: (US RELEASE NEWS)

According to film critic and programmer Tony Rayns "TWC people have told Bong that their aim is to make sure the film 'will be understood by audiences in Iowa ... and Oklahoma.'" Effectively, the notorious Hollywood executive believes the American mid-west is too stupid for Snowpiercer, a movie which essentially chronicles the journey of a few people at the back of a train who stage a revolt and proceed, in a straight line, towards the front.

Rayns continued, "Leaving aside the issue of what Weinstein thinks of its audience, it seems to say the least anomalous that the rest of the English-speaking world has to be dragged down to the presumed level of American mid-west hicks." The film critic attended the July 29th Seoul premiere of the film, and after speaking with Bong, revealed that most of the cuts would come in the form of character detail, effectively turning this rich Sci-Fi thriller into a straightforward action film. Adding further insult to injury, voiceovers will now be added to the opening and closing of the film.

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/08/weins...nowpiercer.html

See?!- I had thought it a bit outlandish as a concept. But now I'm interested.
But only in the director's cut. Harvey can shove it.

Old 08 August 2013   #25
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread