Help me achieve these things

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Help me achieve these things

Hello everyone, I am a simple Cinema 4D user who dreams of becoming good at motion graphics, I came across the work of this artist and I cant help but constantly ask myself how he did these things.

Here is the video: https://vimeo.com/41925634

If you think you can help in telling how some of these things were made i would really appreciate as it would help me learn a lot, so far i have only managed to get one of the things in this video which is the little spiral effect you see some of the objects in the first bouncing ball that says "spunk candy" I used a texture->Surfaces->tiles and set it to spiral and animated the rotate but still its not exactly what was achieved in the video posted so:

1- In the first bouncing ball the one that says "spunk candy" there are two balls spitting out some sort of cream how can you achieve that liquid effect in cinema4d, same thing for the edge of the ball during "spunk candy" the edge becomes liquified, how is that done in cinema4d.

2- In the first bouncing ball, the candy spiral effect which i said i achieved with a color texture, how can you achieve the exact spiral he achieved in the video, i mean if you import your own texture in the color channel how can you animate it like that.

3- The final bouncing ball the one with the tentacles, how can you get those tentacles to wave like that, after modeling basic tentacles i tried adding a cloth tag to them and tried using the forces in the cloth tag in C4D but no luck as all i achieved was deforming the geometry and make it wave randomly not keeping the tentacle shape, so how can you achieve waving tentacles in C4D.

4- Finally the jelly fish in the last bouncing ball, if i had to animate jelly fish like that would i have to rig it? or is there a way around using deformers.

Well I thank you for your time and your patience in advanced, i have already mailed the original artist with some questions I just didnt want to jump at him with a huge email asking how to do almost everything on his piece so i thought i ask a bit around cgsociety like i did with a previous video.
I assume the video I linked was entirely done in C4D cause thats what the final render feels like but i could be wrong, also ive seen this video posted in other C4D pages.

Well thanks for your help.

Dave.

Old 03 March 2013   #2
i think your going about it the wrong way.
you should just learn c4d as a whole and not get caught up with what someone has already done.

i would start by learning mograph (part of c4d)

Old 03 March 2013   #3
I agree with dataflow. If you have little or no knowledge of how the program works, attempting to do something that (by the looks of things) is rather complex, is in my opinion, just going to frustrate and demotivate you.

Luckily, Cinema 4D is probably the easiest 3D software to learn and there are a huge number of tutorials all over the internet that can help you master it. To start with, I highly, highly recommend a car (or other unorganic object) modelling tutorial for beginners as that's the way I learned C4D in less than a month, having begun with 0% knowledge. Even if you don't plan to do a lot of 3D modeling, it will still help you understand the way things work inside the program while, at the same time, teaching you the interface and it won't confuse you with the additional complexity of EG. a character.

Once you've got an understanding of the way C4D works, you will be able to pick up other stuff in the program, like MoGraph, extremely easily.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
First, there's no one way to do it all, but here would be my advice :

1- Sculpt it & swap it would be my bet (it looks like it's actually animated scaling from inside the sphere, not even morphing).

2- Candy Spiral : Create a straight candy and animate with spline wrap effect (or sweep nurb) for the texture, rotate the UV coordinate gizmo (in Cylindrical mode) or simply offset the texture U coordinate. You can create the oblique stripes in C4D procedurally with a gradient.

3-Use a spline wrap and animate the spline for simplicity's sake and control. No need for fancy simulation. You can add other deformers on top for secondary motion (noise/random, wind, formula).

Note : you can simulate the blobby "fluid" effects with metaballs.

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Sorry if I was unclear, I do know cinema 4d, I have already modeled with it and created some pieces for the place I am working for right now, I came across this artist work and just wondered how he did some of those things, anyways the artist as already replied to me with some tips.

He says:
"For the tentacles I used a spline wrap and the formula effector on the spline its one of my favorite techniques."

We can all learn from this.

Thanks.

Old 03 March 2013   #6
[QUOTE=DaveAleb]
1- In the first bouncing ball the one that says "spunk candy" there are two balls spitting out some sort of cream how can you achieve that liquid effect in cinema4d, same thing for the edge of the ball during "spunk candy" the edge becomes liquified, how is that done in cinema4d.

This is probably done with particles and metaballs, or it could be done with a plugin like effex.

2- In the first bouncing ball, the candy spiral effect which i said i achieved
with a color texture, how can you achieve the exact spiral he achieved in the
video, i mean if you import your own texture in the color channel how can you
animate it like that.

Gradient or other shader or bitmap, with animated offset in the texture tag or projection shader, most likely.

4- Finally the jelly fish in the last bouncing ball, if
i had to animate jelly fish like that would i have to rig it? or is there a way
around using deformers.

Dave.

Could be a full rig or it might be an animated cage deformer. Do a search here for jellyfish. A year or so ago someone posted a thread where he created some very convincing jellyfish.

Old 03 March 2013   #7
Thank you all for your time and help, I just spent this afternoon doing all that was suggested and achieved some good results, really thanks a lot as I have learned a lot as I knew I would.

I will know proceed with creating my own piece.

Thanks so much, I hope this Thread helps other ppl as much as it has helped me, I just saved this thread in a folder along with other tutorials I have.

C4D for life.

Old 03 March 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread