Auto planar mapping

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Auto planar mapping

Hi guys

I need to create a tool that will automatically planar map object that are selected. The tool needs to work even if the objects are rotated or translated or even has freeze transformation on them. I how would you guys approach this?

//Ramon

Old 10 October 2012   #2
please be more specific, what is the outcome you are looking for?

Old 10 October 2012   #3
say that I have 5 boxes in my scene and they are all rotate differently and positioned randomly. The boxes also has freeze transformation on them. I want the tool to be able to correctly planar map all the sides of each object in the scene.

Old 10 October 2012   #4
boxes are one thing, complex models are another - once the mesh has been frozen, it is no longer a "box" in the sense that automatic mapping no longer has a frame of reference along which to operate. similarly, planar projections along the X, Y, Z become meaningless and since the object space is lost because of the frozen transform, you can't really get clean projections without a lot of math.

for boxes it's pretty easy, just:
1. planar map each face (loop through each face and apply a "best plane" planar projection)
2. run unfold (or use the Keep Image Ratio flag on the planar projection)
3. use layout with pre-scale to correct any scale issues between the uv shells.

Freezing position and scale isn't too deterimental, but freezing rotation is a bad idea - object space is a very useful thing to keep around.

Old 10 October 2012   #5
If they are just boxes and you want each face 0-1. All you need to do is to run unitize.

Old 10 October 2012   #6
You could also take a look at planar mapping "fit projection to: best plane".
What it does is that it places the planar projection at an angle that is the average of the normals of the selected faces. So you could combine that with a script that say, assigns a group of faces to selections. So it can be like:
Face 1 to 10 gets assigned to selection $selection1
Face 11 to 20 gets assigned to selection $selection2
etc
Then each selection is projected with planar mapping "best plane".
And then you could do an unfold on each created UV shell to reduce distortion.

Would that be what you are looking for?

Old 10 October 2012   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread