It's here. The 2013 Pro gpu roundup at CGCHANNEL.COM

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2013   #31
ya, I agree that, because of the optimizations for games in Windows, that it makes sense to split the driver but OS X only needs the one since it's not a gaming platform. So Apple doesn't gimp the driver for gaming cards and they (and Autodesk) offer full support with gaming cards in Maya, Mudbox, etc. Sure, there's wiggle room but since you can't force people onto FirePro or Quadro on an iMac, MacBook Pro or the BTO options for existing Mac Pros, Apple's not likely to offer a handicapped compute setup just to match a Windows gaming driver and they write a major part of OpenGL and OpenCL for OS X which AMD and Nvidia plug into. I don't see anything about limitations of double-precision floats in OpenCL in OS X due to driver limitations:

https://developer.apple.com/library...acProgGuide.pdf

Last edited by cgbeige : 11 November 2013 at 07:30 PM.

Old 11 November 2013   #32
Ad far as i know the limitation is present on all platforms. Apple doesn't write the drivers from that far down they don't get to make a call themselves on narrower dp. Just try some ocl tests that implement dp if you want to confirm. Same for the hardware stereo and colour depth per buffer AFAIK; e.g.:If you want hardware stereo in Nuke it's got to be a quadro.

The gamma settings you mention I'm not sure about, as in I don't actually know what you're referring to. As you know my hands-on on Macs is near nothing, and I don't really deal with that colour management in those fields (in film we take completely different routes and toolsets anyway).

Last edited by ThE_JacO : 11 November 2013 at 12:07 AM.

Old 11 November 2013   #33
well, the hardware stereo thing is a hardware limitation. The only reason you can't do 30-bit output on OS X is because Apple's yet to sort it out, on any hardware. It's annoying and I've griped about it for years. But when it comes, I am willing to bet cash money that it will work on all hardware that is capable of it because they won't gimp the drivers.

What are you referring to about the gamma settings?

Last edited by cgbeige : 11 November 2013 at 03:29 AM.

Old 11 November 2013   #34
Originally Posted by cgbeige: well, the hardware stereo thing is a hardware limitation. The only reason you can't do 30-bit output on OS X is because Apple's yet to sort it out, on any hardware. It's annoying and I've griped about it for years. But when it comes, I am willing to bet cash money that it will work on all hardware that is capable of it because they won't gimp the drivers.

It's not up to Apple though, it's up to nVIDIA (or AMD). If they decide that the bottom-most layers won't broadcast 10bit per channel to inidividual buffers then they won't.
On Windows in example DX can do it because there was no reason to cripple it (since DX isn't used in colour sensitive apps much) and games might exploit/require the feature, but no amount of circumvention will get you the same in OGL unless you buy a quadro.
Same for certain HW stereo features and output devices support (which is why you will be hard pressed to find a comp workstation around any film shop with anything less than a relatively recent quadro usually, for a mix of nukeX node accel and stereo support).

Apple does contribute to the drivers for their platform, for sure, but make no mistake, they don't write them from scratch and don't get to willy-nilly decide what's exposed how across the board. Particularly for OCL/CUDA implementations where, AFAIK, they don't even implement that layer at all and leave it entirely to the mothership.
Of course Apple can strong-arm their hardware providers into offering certain feature sets on certain cards which differ from the stand-alone sale offering, but with such a gaping chasm between all their hardware lines and their new pros I doubt they would even bother.
I know of no WS class Mac coming out that has anything less than a firepro, and everything else with one or two exceptions seems to be going the way of integrated graphics, so I don't think they even will have to contend with the features at all.

Quote: What are you referring to about the gamma settings?

I must have been hallucinating or something. I re-read posts a couple times at least before replying, must have jumbled "gaming" with gamma repeatedly and convinced myself I was responding to God knows what... Ignore that

Old 11 November 2013   #35
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread