NET render noob questions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #31
Originally Posted by mustardseed: So a quad i7 would normally be doing 8 thread? Which means setting it at 6-7 would be fine?

This is correct

Old 06 June 2013   #32
Thanks a lot Srek!

Old 09 September 2013   #33
I've searched for an answer to my problem, but I didn't see one and thought I'd ask here.

I've got my farm running r14 net server on it's own machine with no client running. I have around 20 nodes rendering a project in full HD and all but four are quad i7 machines with the remaining 4 quad i5s.

What I am finding is that a client will finish it's final frame and then sit idle for quite some time before moving on to the next job in the que. The previous clients also have 2-3 frames left, yet NET doesn't see this and redistribute to the idle clients that still show as 'running' that same job.

Is there a setting to change to allow for the idle machines to realize they are done and to move on?

Thank you,

Ryan

Old 09 September 2013   #34
Originally Posted by gdogfunk: I've searched for an answer to my problem, but I didn't see one and thought I'd ask here.

I've got my farm running r14 net server on it's own machine with no client running. I have around 20 nodes rendering a project in full HD and all but four are quad i7 machines with the remaining 4 quad i5s.

What I am finding is that a client will finish it's final frame and then sit idle for quite some time before moving on to the next job in the que. The previous clients also have 2-3 frames left, yet NET doesn't see this and redistribute to the idle clients that still show as 'running' that same job.

Is there a setting to change to allow for the idle machines to realize they are done and to move on?

Thank you,

Ryan

If I understand you correctly, the "idle" machines have finished their frames on a job and are ready to move to the next one and not that they just finished the frame they were working on and are taking a while to start the next frame. If they are preparing for the next job, each client has to copy all of the files from the server before it can begin. Are you sure the idle machines aren't just copying scene files? If there is dynamic simulations included, it also has to compute that before it begins to render. When you look at the client list in your server window in your browser, does it show dashed lines in all of the info for the client, or does it say "waiting"?. If it's waiting, it's probably processing something.

EDIT: I have had times when clients will hang up. The quick fix is just restart Net Render Server.
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Old 09 September 2013   #35
The idle machines all show --- with a status of running. This MacPro I'm typing from sat idle for near an hour and I reset the client and it went right back to the finished job - yet no frames are resent to the available nodes. The dynamics were baked prior to rendering and the files of the new job don't transfer until the client switches to that new job. The server window showed the client loss/addition instantly when I reset the client. It's like the server doesn't see that the client is really done.

I rebooted the server machine yesterday and just now reset the server from within NetRender interface and it basically interrupted the whole farm and 5 of the nodes still showed the job where there were no frames available and showed running and ---.

An hour later, two idle nodes still show --- while a few nodes finish up the last frames. I don't understand why they don't kick over, but I guess this is where folks wanted to NET updates.

Old 09 September 2013   #36
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread