Silo 2.0 news

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2005   #16
you can still buy me a beer tho....

Old 12 December 2005   #17
It's true... we've been most unkind to our beta testers. But we're getting ever closer to the first beta. The issues which brought about our delay were, for the most part, now-or-never opportunities for modifying the core. Our new windowing system is a big example. We have to decide whether to not add them at all for 2.x, or to take a little longer and make the change now. We strongly believe these changes will be well worth the delay to our users, so we're working on them now. It is true that it's also the nature of software development that you don't really know how long things are going to take. Some elements go in much quicker than planned. Others can drag on annoyingly due to nagging issues. So it's almost always an educated guess, especially when you're attempting to do something you haven't done before. (At the same time, there are things you can do to make sure you hit close to your target. You've just got to decide how high on the priority scale that is.) We're still learning how best to handle it all, but we want to balance somewhere in the middle. We don't want to shut out the community entirely and say nothing until the software is ready, and we don't want to provide hard deadlines and disappoint everyone.

Old 12 December 2005   #18
Keep up the fantastic work. it's actually nice to see a company do it right instead of thinking about the money first and say they will fix it later.

Learn Maya -> Mastering Maya

Old 12 December 2005   #19
Originally Posted by DataForge: Keep up the fantastic work. it's actually nice to see a company do it right instead of thinking about the money first and say they will fix it later.

Old 01 January 2006   #20
So, bottom line...what is the expected release date now?

Old 01 January 2006   #21
sometime between march 21th and june 21th ..

Old 01 January 2006   #22
Silo 2.0 looks quite cool from all that has been posted in the forums, and I am quite pleased with the philosophy of it's developers. I have used several other programs that were supposedly not beta, with lots of mysterious (and after some time, not mysterious, just annoying) crashes. With a deadline looming, with switching to another program to do things not an option, aaaaaaaargh!
Anyway, this way I am sure Silo development had a wonderful christmas and a happy new year. As much as I would like them to hurry up, they are human as we all are, and need rest and relaxation

Old 01 January 2006   #23
I guess there is no hurry then. I have plenty of time to get to the "Getting Started in Silo" video.

Old 01 January 2006   #24
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread