WIRED - "The Game Console is Dead"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
WIRED - "The Game Console is Dead"

An interesting opinion piece from WIRED magazine:

"Consolation Prize: The Game Console Is Dead. What Will Replace It?"

Executive Summary:

Game consoles have peaked in the market, with a total of 225 Million units sold.

While the current crop of Consoles were "King of the Hill" when they were released in the early to mid 2000s, and people splashed out 40 - 60 Dollars to buy a game for them, today the market looks very different.

Games for smart phones & tablet computers are becoming more and more popular, and more sophisticated with time, driving significant gamer traffic away from Consoles.

Both smart phones and tablet computers are getting more powerful quickly, hardware capability-wise, meaning that they will eventually be able to run "Console Quality" or "Near Console Quality" games natively.

The many new "Free to Play" multiplayer games for PC, which make money from Micro-Transactions (buying items/weapons/powers/perks for use in the game) are also driving casual gamers away from Consoles.

The convenience of cloud services like Steam is also leading to a rebirth of PC gaming, which was much neglected in the mid 2000s, when publishers suddenly started targeting Consoles instead of the good old PC.

Basic Summary: The IT landscape today looks very, very different from when PS3/Xbox 360/Wii were released. To make it in the market, the coming 4th Generation of Consoles will have to offer a lot more than "Just sit on your couch and game!". Selling Console games at high prices like 60 Dollars per game may no longer be economically feasible in this new market landscape.

10 October 2012
PC's are dead too. I hate articles like these. There are too many reasons to list why consoles aren't dead, I don't even feel like starting.

10 October 2012
The only reason why we see so many articles on the topic recently is because everyone is trying to push for the nextgen consoles to appear. I think its ridiculous.

10 October 2012
No, Pc's aren't dead. While consoles aren't either they are lacking in every respect. They are simply not keeping up with the Moore's law.

10 October 2012
I don't think consoles are going to go away for a long time, there's certainly a place for them.

Consoles will still offer a better game experience compared to mobile
On top of that, they can offer experiences that mobile simply can't match (simple example: an actual game controller)
Another thing is that a game console can be an all-around media entertainment piece that can offer everything you would want, including streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, HBOGo), music, movies, media playback for both files and things like DVD's and Blu-Ray, and on top of all that, high-end games.

I think, if anything, PC's are actually taking away console business. Most likely in the future, the new consoles will increase popularity again, but it looks like PC gaming will be something that won't be disregarded like it used to.

All around, it's a pretty good situation as long as the new consoles can come out in a reasonable amount of time. Nintendo really should have had their console out at least a year ago. Some are saying Microsoft and Sony won't have theirs out until 2014, but I think that would be a mistake if they don't release theirs next year.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by darthviper107: I don't think consoles are going to go away for a long time, there's certainly a place for them.

On top of that, they can offer experiences that mobile simply can't match (simple example: an actual game controller)
Another thing is that a game console can be an all-around media entertainment piece that can offer everything you would want, including streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, HBOGo), music, movies, media playback for both files and things like DVD's and Blu-Ray, and on top of all that, high-end games.

It's already possible, to a limited degree, to connect your phone to your TV and do all those things, and it will only continue to get easier.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by Tamagoo: No, Pc's aren't dead. While consoles aren't either they are lacking in every respect. They are simply not keeping up with the Moore's law.

I said PC's are dead sarcastically, consoles follow the economy not Moores law.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by darthviper107: I don't think consoles are going to go away for a long time, there's certainly a place for them.

I think, if anything, PC's are actually taking away console business. Most likely in the future, the new consoles will increase popularity again, but it looks like PC gaming will be something that won't be disregarded like it used to.

All around, it's a pretty good situation as long as the new consoles can come out in a reasonable amount of time. Nintendo really should have had their console out at least a year ago. Some are saying Microsoft and Sony won't have theirs out until 2014, but I think that would be a mistake if they don't release theirs next year.

I can already plug a joypad into my samsung s3 and connect it to the tv via hdmi.

Its full HD too and has a quad core inside. Pretty neat toy.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by Meloncov: It's already possible, to a limited degree, to connect your phone to your TV and do all those things, and it will only continue to get easier.

Yes, but it's not really practical, like anyone wants to have to plug in a cord from their phone to their TV, and then you would have to go grab the device to control playback. Of course they could improve that in the future. But then phones will never have the ability to play Blu-ray discs.

Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: I can already plug a joypad into my samsung s3 and connect it to the tv via hdmi.

Its full HD too and has a quad core inside. Pretty neat toy.

What gamer is going to plug in a controller to their phone to play games? Like the gamepad addons for mobile devices, it kind of removes the advantage of having something small and mobile when you have to stick something big on it so you can use it as a controller. And even with mobile gaming devices like the PSP or Nintendo DS they don't have as good of controls as an actual game controller.
And then there's the thing that there's no point playing mobile games by plugging it into your TV when you can play much better games with a real controller that's already plugged into your TV--which is the same issue with the Ouya. Sure you can play those Android games like a console, but the console games are much better than Android games so there's no point.

I don't see a point in the future where mobile devices will ever be able to play games better than a console or do things in home entertainment better than a console.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by darthviper107: Yes, but it's not really practical, like anyone wants to have to plug in a cord from their phone to their TV, and then you would have to go grab the device to control playback. Of course they could improve that in the future. But then phones will never have the ability to play Blu-ray discs.

They won't have to. You stream the video at Blu-Ray definition to your phone, or play it from the phone's hard drive or memory card, then wirelessly stream it from your phone to the TV. Likewise, game controllers would connect wirelessly, or the phone itself could become the gamepad while streaming the main image to your TV.

Originally Posted by darthviper107: I don't see a point in the future where mobile devices will ever be able to play games better than a console or do things in home entertainment better than a console.

They won't be better. But they will likely be close enough that not many people will be willing to pay to buy a separate game console.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by Tamagoo: No, Pc's aren't dead. While consoles aren't either they are lacking in every respect. They are simply not keeping up with the Moore's law.

And that's precisely why I like them. With a console, you buy a game and you know it's going to work on your machine, because the technology hasn't changed. I gave up on PC gaming because I got sick and tired of having to constantly upgrade my machine, patch drivers, and deal with all kinds of annoying issues almost every time I bought a game.

I love my XBox and would never go back to playing on a PC.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by darthviper107: I don't see a point in the future where mobile devices will ever be able to play games better than a console or do things in home entertainment better than a console.

Nope that will never happen, it is like saying consoles will pass up PC's.

10 October 2012
Mobile is only close enough now because consoles are 6 years old. New consoles will again put them years ahead of mobile devices.
Is everyone forgetting the fact you normally need to be in a very expensive contract to have a smartphone? I doubt the majority of gamers on consoles(kids), have a S3 on contract.
There are way too many different mobile devices with different size screens and processors that outdate too fast to ever have the same level of third party support as consoles.

If you think mobile can compete with a console, you are obviously not a gamer and your opinion is null and void.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by BigPixolin: Is everyone forgetting the fact you normally need to be in a very expensive contract to have a smartphone? I doubt the majority of gamers on consoles(kids), have a S3 on contract.

Maybe in the US, but here it's pretty normal to see kids with iPhones and Blackberry phones, as well as other smartphones.

Also, most gamers are adults.

10 October 2012
I don't know, I'm not a gamer, but the PS Vita looks pretty impressive.

Not sure about the iPhone 5 or S3, but you can get a iPhone 4 or S2 for free here in the states with a contract. I don't see many kids with fancy phones around here, but lots of parents buy their kids tablets, and they play games on those.

I would envision the future to be something like the Vita, with a fancy dock so you could plug in lots of controllers, power, and maybe a DVD drive.

Either way its very exciting times with electronics becoming smaller and smaller.

-AJ

Thread Closed share thread