Chamfer Maker R15 (r2)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #1
Chamfer Maker R15 (r2)

Hey guys,

By user request, I just released a new version of Chamfer Maker R15 - designated (r2) - which adds support for live edge selections coming from a correction deformer.

DOWNLOAD

Redownload the plugin from http://bit.ly/19jfwxI.

The introductional video on vimeo was updated mid-part with an addendum.

Unfortunately I don't know how to post a vimeo video that starts at a specific time so if you want to see the addendum skip to 4:25 mins

Enjoy!

André

Old 10 October 2013   #2
w00t!
And thank you!

Old 10 October 2013   #3
Hi Andre,

I am a big fan of your plugin. Great, thanks!
I have one question though: is there any way to apply multiple chamfers to one mesh? I need different bevel radii for different edge selections. Stacking multiple Chamfer Makers doesn't work however. The second chamfer maker explodes the mesh. I Guess that is because the referenced selection set doesn't match the geometry of the first chamfer makers output.
I also tried using the correction deformer to add a selection on top of the first chamfer maker. But I was not able to access the result of the first chamfer maker.

Do you see any possibility of supporting multiple selection sets with different radii? I guess one way would be to manage the selection sets in a table instead of a simple list and use a second column for radii and maybe a third for subdivisions. But I think stacking multiple chamfer maker instances would be even more flexible (or both options )

Just some ideas. In my current example I used the angle treshold in the end. However this won't work in all situations.

Thanks again for the great work,
Chris

Old 10 October 2013   #4
Thanks Andre, very cool addition.

A return of the variance parameter gets my vote as a feature request.

Cheers
Phil

Old 10 October 2013   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianS
Stacking multiple Chamfer Makers doesn't work however. The second chamfer maker explodes the mesh.

Oh boy, working out the hierarchy helper path for that case is gonna be quite tough to figure out, especially with keeping the support for the correction deformer.

Can you attach a stripped down scene as example so I can see what exactly you mean with stacking in this case when looking at the object manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianS
Do you see any possibility of supporting multiple selection sets with different radii? I guess one way would be to manage the selection sets in a table instead of a simple list and use a second column for radii and maybe a third for subdivisions. But I think stacking multiple chamfer maker instances would be even more flexible (or both options )

I must say, if it is possible and I will have to ponder this quite a bit, I would greatly prefer the first option than mucking about with stacking support. The latter will get messy quickly (if I understand you correctly).

In theory, of course it should be possible to grab the edge selection from each selection set, and the call SendModellingCommand to instrument the new bevel tool to work just on that selection set.

One would have to figure out the best way to make this visible in the UI as you have been thinking about already, but yeah, that's the theory.

And of course there would also be performance concerns, as you don't want to be calling SendModellingCommand for every edge in every selection set. That would incur quite the overhead I can imagine.

Hmm.. will keep this and the variance parameter in mind for a future challenge. As always no promises but I might just surprise you

Old 10 October 2013   #6
hi andre...i get a crash when i open old scenes when a cloner is child of chamfermaker. there was no problem with old chamfermaker versions.

Old 10 October 2013   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN0
hi andre...i get a crash when i open old scenes when a cloner is child of chamfermaker. there was no problem with old chamfermaker versions.

Hmmm.... is it possible for you to attach a simple scene showing the problem (or if you can't attach send it to me via email at irisvfx at gmail dot com please).

That would help me out. Thank you.

EDIT: opened issue 1 on the Chamfer Maker R15 issue tracker.

Last edited by andreberg : 10 October 2013 at 10:02 PM.

Old 10 October 2013   #8
This will be incredibly useful. Thanks for your efforts on this

Old 10 October 2013   #9
Hi Andre,

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreberg
Oh boy, working out the hierarchy helper path for that case is gonna be quite tough to figure out, especially with keeping the support for the correction deformer.

Can you attach a stripped down scene as example so I can see what exactly you mean with stacking in this case when looking at the object manager.

I must say, if it is possible and I will have to ponder this quite a bit, I would greatly prefer the first option than mucking about with stacking support. The latter will get messy quickly (if I understand you correctly).

In theory, of course it should be possible to grab the edge selection from each selection set, and the call SendModellingCommand to instrument the new bevel tool to work just on that selection set.

One would have to figure out the best way to make this visible in the UI as you have been thinking about already, but yeah, that's the theory.

And of course there would also be performance concerns, as you don't want to be calling SendModellingCommand for every edge in every selection set. That would incur quite the overhead I can imagine.

Hmm.. will keep this and the variance parameter in mind for a future challenge. As always no promises but I might just surprise you

I attached an example. It seems the problems that are obvious in this example do not occur always. I was not able to get such artifacts on a simple cube with some extrusions. If you find some time to work on support for multiple selection sets I would be very happy. Any solution would be appreciated. The table solution would be more user friednly and it would keep the tree clean I guess.

Cheers,
Chris
Attached Files
File Type: zip chamfer test.zip (85.6 KB, 5 views)

Old 10 October 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread