swinging a whip

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
swinging a whip

Hey everyone,

I would like to animate a character swinging a whip. More in a fun way, but also hitting some things. So nothing brutal, more like a relaxed swinging. Hope that makes sense.

So what would be the best way to do the whip? I have been thinking about some possibilities like joints (either FK, IK,spline-IK or dynamic IK), or Spline Dynamics. But maybe there are some other better ways for set-ups, so would be great to get some more ideas, which I can test out

Thanks a lot

Anna

Old 07 July 2013   #2
Howdy,

Since your character is going to be hitting things with the whip, I'd probably go with the spline IK setup, simply because that will give you the most control over the direction of the whip. It may mean more tedious work in animating it, getting the whip to look natural, though.

You might even consider setting up the controllers for the spline IK with a slight delay using constraints to help give it a more natural look.

Adios,
Cactus Dan

cactus3d.com, cactus3d-Plugins, CD Character Plugins forum

Old 07 July 2013   #3
A great tutorial from Jason Ryan that covers a whip action here - http://www.jasonryananimation.com/r...-tutorials.html

He does it in 2D but the principles hold true in 3D. Personally I'd just rig a simple spline IK rig and just keyframe it. Constraints or dynamics just get in the way in my opinion if you want to achieve very specific poses. I'd only use them if I have a secondary prop that just needs to follow along with something else and the poses aren't important.

As a personal note - I sometimes wonder if there's an idea amongst the C4D community that somehow keyframes are the 'wrong' way to do stuff. I see people building complicated rigs and xpresso setups all the time and I often think 'I could do that with regular keyframes in much less time', in fact I'd bet in many case I'd have the animation done before someone else even had the rig finished. I don't know if this idea was spread by the Aix Sponza 'No Keyframes' video, or Maxons focus on tools like C-Motion etc, but with all respect, I believe that Keyframes are often the fastest way to achieve things and give the best control in many situations. The only downside is that it requires thought and study of reference to get good results instead of looking for the magic setting/rig. If you are an animator though, that's the fun part Much more interesting for me anyway than twiddling with dynamic settings.

/endRant

Cheers,
Brian

Old 07 July 2013   #4
Howdy,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horganovski
...As a personal note - I sometimes wonder if there's an idea amongst the C4D community that somehow keyframes are the 'wrong' way to do stuff. I see people building complicated rigs and xpresso setups all the time and I often think 'I could do that with regular keyframes in much less time', in fact I'd bet in many case I'd have the animation done before someone else even had the rig finished. I don't know if this idea was spread by the Aix Sponza 'No Keyframes' video, or Maxons focus on tools like C-Motion etc, but with all respect, I believe that Keyframes are often the fastest way to achieve things and give the best control in many situations. The only downside is that it requires thought and study of reference to get good results instead of looking for the magic setting/rig. If you are an animator though, that's the fun part Much more interesting for me anyway than twiddling with dynamic settings...

Hehe, my sentiments, too. One time, I had a client send me a dynamics animation to fix, and I simply had them bake the animation for me to use as a guide and then manually key framed a copy of the object. The client loved it.

I've often wanted to add a joke menu selection in my plugins entitled, "Create great character animation from direct link to brain (currently under development)."

Adios,
Cactus Dan

cactus3d.com, cactus3d-Plugins, CD Character Plugins forum

Old 07 July 2013   #5
If it's a short whip, you could also use spline dynamics.
Otherwise yes, I'd do it with spline IK and careful manual animation. The reason most people try to find automated rigs and set up dynamics is that they don't know how to recreate a proper animation by hand.
Not a fault in and of itself, it takes time to master and most will focus on other aspects of the creation process.

But I agree it's fun to try and give life to an object on your own, so rewarding!

Last edited by fluffouille : 07 July 2013 at 07:45 PM.

Old 07 July 2013   #6
Thanks a lot you three

I will definitely go with the spline ik and keyframes, as you said. That was actually my first way to try. So next step will be setting up the rig .To be honest, I am using keyframes the most time as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horganovski
A great tutorial from Jason Ryan that covers a whip action here - http://www.jasonryananimation.com/r...-tutorials.html

And the video will be very very helpfull I am going to have a look at other references as well for more types of swinging a whip but this one and the other ones in the same channel are great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Dan
I've often wanted to add a joke menu selection in my plugins entitled, "Create great character animation from direct link to brain (currently under development)."

that would be so much fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffouille
But I agree it's fun to try and give life to an object on your own, so rewarding!

That's so true, I am really loving it, if characters are coming to life and suddenly have a personality and their own little tics and all this stuff. It is so much fun, making this up and then putting it into them

Anna

Old 07 July 2013   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffouille

One of the lecturers at iAnimate did a whole lecture on props the other day and how they can be an extension of the character using them, or even a distinct personality all of their own, it was really interesting (one example he used was Rapunzel's frying pan in Tangled) . It was really interesting, really fun stuff to think about when animating indeed.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 07 July 2013   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Dan
One time, I had a client send me a dynamics animation to fix, and I simply had them bake the animation for me to use as a guide and then manually key framed a copy of the object. The client loved it.

I remember reading an article about a really VFX-heavy movie where there was a lot of destruction sequences. For many shots they would have the smaller parts of a breaking object just driven by dynamics but the larger 'hero' chunks would be hand keyed. For exactly the same reason you mention - it's really hard to art-direct a simulation, while a decent animator can put something exactly where it should be in the camera view in much less time.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 07 July 2013   #9
Yeah, the same was done in Finding Nemo. 99% of the anemones were animated dynamically, but the "hero" anemone, which was Nemo's "house" was all hand animated to get the level of control needed over their behavior.

Old 07 July 2013   #10
I like to set up parametric rigs when I can mainly because I'm not a character animator by trade. The rig allows me the flexibility to change things around if the client needs me to without the worry of extensive re-animating.

The new fxphd C4D class "Math by Arrows" by Aix Sponza's Manuel Merkle isn't going to help me curb that desire.
https://www.fxphd.com/fxphd/courseInfo.php

Old 07 July 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread