Need some help to identify why these images got rejected

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Need some help to identify why these images got rejected

Hi awesome ppl,

two of my images got rejected from the 3d Stills section recently and I dont have a clue of wht is wrong with em.

The lake House

the above image is based on a concept by Olivier Derouetteau's bellow art work

I wanted it to have a dreamy fantasy feel, I have a bit of concern about my composition other than dat im blank, please give me some feed back to make my work look nice.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

and this is the sec artwork "Arti on the Desk"

this is the robot form my short composited on to a real plate, and have no clue whts wrong with it , please give me some comments ,
thankz aloooottt...

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Both of those look outstanding in my opinion and are definitely gallery material - BUT - if I had to guess why they got bounced, on the lake house I would imagine that it was bounced because as nice as it all looks, the water is just FLAT and boring. The color and texture is great though.

For Arti on the desk... the quality of the modeling is outstanding but I don't know if the character is really communicating any sort of emotion at all very effectively, he looks like he's just been posed by hand like a toy on someone's desk, whereas I'm guessing the look you want to communicate is that he jumped up there of his own volition.

Granted I have no room to speak on such things because I am TERRIBLE at character modeling, but thats just my guess as to why it might get bounced.

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Hey man,

Your recreation it a lot flatter than the original. You've really lost a lot of the depth that makes the concept so great. Your shot all seems to happen on one plane. The concept has an element floating in the water, the house and the boat, the far shore of the lake, some hills, and then the moon and stars. Add to that the fog that's illuminated from the moon, and the shot is very immersive.

Your desk shot doesn't look very well integrated. You've got some pretty nasty grain artefacts on your photo, and your 3D looks over lit. I'm not sure what your trying to convey with that one. Its not technically nor artistically interesting. I would take that one back to the drawing board and try to come up with a better position and pose for your character. Also try shooting in RAW, and maybe take multiple exposures for a HDR composition.

-AJ

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Hey ppl sorry for the late replies ,
Quartermaster thank you so much for the reply ,regarding the boringness of the water I admit it does look lot less detailed when compared to the rest , but I was doing that for
two reasons :

1) I wanted to achieve the long exposed water look (the smooth look of the water in the bellow image)

2)I also wanted to make the house stand out from the rest of the image, to create that contrast I thought not to make a water very detailed or busy.

and regarding the Arti on the desk image,
At second thought after I see it with your comment, the pose does look a bit stiff thank you, I would love to know how can i make the pose more realistic , but if i describe his emotion in that image it will be "concerned and pissed" the image was created on the day of the Oscar. thanks again Quartermaster ...

Old 03 March 2013   #5
AJ1 thank you for ur reply,
the attempt was not to recreated the concept art as it is , the concept addresses more about an environment as in my image I wanted to make the image more focused on the house , i wanted the house to be the hero of the image , it is the same reason that the water is less detailed , i wanted the detailed house to stand out on a quite plane water surface.

about the arti on the desk image,
why do you think he is over lit, hes sitting on the highest place on the table , and he has a much brighter color compared to the other things in the image, so isnt he suppose to look brighter ,
thnx for the feed bk AJ1

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread