Read/write maya PDC

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Read/write maya PDC

Hey guys,

This is probably an old one, and I'm sorry if I'm reposting but I haven't found anything that makes any sense...

I'm caching a file made by another artist, in order to push it further through the pipeline.
Maya PDC seems to rely on the project-folder, and we don't use that at all. I'm wondering if there's any workaround to use an absolute path? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Tried caching it with alembic, which I thought would work but maybe the standard maya particles don't support that.

I guess another workaround would be to convert the system to nParticles but I'm not sure that's possible either, tried using the same emitter and all but I can't get the nParticles to stick to the same positions as the old particles.

Like I said, any help would make my day.

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Maya 2012+ should allow you to put in a absolute path to each "workspace" directory in the project settings..

it still relies on using the project settings somewhat but basically I think now you should be able to

open up the project settings in any "project" and surf the "particles" entry to whatever folder you want
and then it will pick up the dynGlobals relative directory name from there.

I'm assuming that you need to keep the particles cached to use them in another part of maya.

if you want to switch to nParticles it should work as well, but you'd just have to turn off
at least self collisions on the nParticles , I'm assuming that that may be why the nParticle version might look different than the particle version .. but thats just a guess..

hope this helps

-johnc

Old 01 January 2013   #3
using absolute paths is a terrible idea. Im shocked that a studio actually does this on purpose lol. but whatever works for you i guess. The reason why you dont hardcode absolute paths is because there is no way a render farm can redirect a path in a binary file. So generally you use workspace + relative path especially when dealing with render farms.

Last edited by stooch : 01 January 2013 at 05:38 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #4
In fact there is a way.

You can map a common drive or network drive to a common letter ( X: in my situation) and use this as the common drive for all the assets, no matter the computer, and no matter if i have to use one or another repository of assets in the network, I always can redirect the X: letter to my repository, so all my nodes have their X and all my files depends on X, this way anything can go wrong and I can use absolute paths

Cheers.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread