CGPortfolio update/overhaul - still planned?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09 September 2012   #1
CGPortfolio update/overhaul - still planned?

It's already a while since some users (or me at least ) asked this and I remember there was a positive reply and that it's something that is overdue and is going to be done soon.
Just wanted to ask, because it's quite obvious that the current portfolio system is visually overloaded, not really up to date and very slow on the server side.

I hope you're still considering an overhaul!
 
Old 09 September 2012   #2
Yep, it's still in the pipe.
__________________
leighvanderbyl.com
 
Old 09 September 2012   #3
Thanks Leigh, I hope the pipe is a short one

If you want some input from the community, I'm always up for a conceptual talk here!
 
Old 09 September 2012   #4
I actually had a long Skype call with our new IT manager this morning, funnily enough. And one of the things I mentioned was opening up to the community to hear their thoughts about certain things. We do have plans to quite radically alter the portfolio system, not just with a visual facelift but also a fundamental change in the way the whole thing works and how people interact with it.

I don't want to speak too soon and please bear in mind that these are my personal ideas, and there's no guarantee that this is how the final thing will be, but basically my own wishes are thus:

- I want the entire thing to be more interactive and social. Right now, people have no ability to comment on work in people's portfolios or 'favourite' specific pieces of work. I'd like to see this functionality. Essentially, I want the portfolio system to feel like more of a social platform.

- Uploading of work needs to be far, far simpler. I like the way sites like Flickr handle uploading; you can add work with just a few clicks. Our current system is way too complicated and confusing.

- More showcasing of work. CGSociety is, first and foremost, a community, and right now we're not really showcasing as much work from the community as we could. I want more work on the front page, not just the six plugs we have. I want an entire wall of images for people to click through to.

- I'm personally keen to scrap the current mod-validated Showcase Gallery in favour of an 'Editor's Choice" setup instead. The portfolio system (revamped, of course) should be where people showcase their work as opposed to submitting it to a gallery forum (the ability to post comments on work would replace the need for a forum for it), while a showcase of the 'best' work would be selected by mods/community to be showcased in the aforementioned wall of images. Kinda like how on the photography site 500px, anyone can add work to their own page, while each week, images are chosen by the site's editors and showcased on a special Editor's Choice page. This strikes a balance between allowing everyone to showcase their work, while still maintaining a platform for casual browsers to quickly get to the cream of the crop.

But we do want to hear from you guys too! What sort of things do you want to see?
__________________
leighvanderbyl.com
 
Old 09 September 2012   #5
Great! Exactly what I hoped for

Quote:
I want the entire thing to be more interactive and social. Right now, people have no ability to comment on work in people's portfolios or 'favourite' specific pieces of work. I'd like to see this functionality. Essentially, I want the portfolio system to feel like more of a social platform.

Comments per image - cool!
As for the social stuff additions: right now, the social link buttons have some hiccups, like long loading times and display issues, so the implementation probably needs to be reviewed.

Quote:
Uploading of work needs to be far, far simpler. I like the way sites like Flickr handle uploading; you can add work with just a few clicks. Our current system is way too complicated and confusing.

I agree. Would also love to see bigger thumbnails, they're too small as it is now!

Software used tags: Right now, the list is missing some apps, so maybe adding user defined software tags would be useful.

Image tags: I'd love to see this improved. I wonder why searching in the portfolio section never returns my images although I have added exactly those tags. I'd love to be able to search for a specific term and actually get useful results. This is very important imo.

Quote:
More showcasing of work. CGSociety is, first and foremost, a community, and right now we're not really showcasing as much work from the community as we could. I want more work on the front page, not just the six plugs we have. I want an entire wall of images for people to click through to.

Exactly! I wonder why the frontpage is biased towards cgsociety offerings instead of the kick-ass art people are posting here. There used to be more work plugs in the past and it somehow vanished from the frontpage in the last 1 or 2 years or so. The wall of images is a great idea, again, please with bigger thumbnails

Quote:
I'm personally keen to scrap the current mod-validated Showcase Gallery in favour of an 'Editor's Choice" setup instead. The portfolio system (revamped, of course) should be where people showcase their work as opposed to submitting it to a gallery forum (the ability to post comments on work would replace the need for a forum for it), while a showcase of the 'best' work would be selected by mods/community to be showcased in the aforementioned wall of images. Kinda like how on the photography site 500px, anyone can add work to their own page, while each week, images are chosen by the site's editors and showcased on a special Editor's Choice page. This strikes a balance between allowing everyone to showcase their work, while still maintaining a platform for casual browsers to quickly get to the cream of the crop.

...and it would hopefully help to get rid of the never ending 'why is my image not good enough for the gallery' discussions. Love the idea.


Some additional ideas, I've collected a few over the past years:

- Generally, the portfolio page shouldn't waste as much space as it does now. It's all about images/reels so let's place them in the spot. You could get rid of the 'About' page and replace it by a header that would be always displayed on the new portfolio page (name, location, area of expertise, homepage). Not sure about the guestbook, but you could probably get rid of that one, too. And, no one need the custom banner as long as the design of the new portfolio page rocks

- Add user customizable categories! This would help some artists to sort their work in a meaningful way, for example: 'characters - automotive - wip', or 'tv show 1 - feature film 1 - feature film 2 - short films', and so on. Should be an option only so people would still be able just to add their images to a thumbnail wall without specifying a category.
What I like about the current system though is that you're can specify display order, so please keep that.

- As mentioned above, please add a new practically-oriented search engine.
It should be possible to search by (for example) artist's location, area of expertise, or just image tags, maybe even the software used... The current search option is useless, you just don't know what the hell it is doing under the hood and what exactly it takes into account when performing a search.

- Add a full screen display button that will open in a more elegant way than what we have now. Maybe similar to flickr's light box or so.

- The entire portfolio section should be ad-free. I am seeing ads on the mainpage (despite being a CGmember) and I always think it's the last thing I'd want to see if all I want to see is images.

- Finally, make it faster. I don't know about others but it's sometimes way too slow for me.
 
Old 10 October 2012   #6
So, how are things going regarding the overhaul?
 
Old 10 October 2012   #7
These things take time. Lots of time. Hang in there!
__________________
leighvanderbyl.com
 
Old 10 October 2012   #8
Thanks, looking forward to whatever it will be then!
 
Old 10 October 2012   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
 
  share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.