Turbsmooth Pro released

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #16
Is it possible to get the crease settings in the modifier. And is it possible to make it animatable.

MY HMC

Old 10 October 2012   #17
Awesome plugin. Kinda curious if the name of it won't run you afoul of Autodesk, being the same name of the modifier owned by them.

Old 10 October 2012   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airflow
Is it possible to get the crease settings in the modifier. And is it possible to make it animatable.

The creases can only be defined in the Editable Poly object. They can't be animated.
If I would define them in the tb pro modifier then changing the topology under it would destroy the them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurcell
Awesome plugin. Kinda curious if the name of it won't run you afoul of Autodesk, being the same name of the modifier owned by them.

I'm not aware that the name TurboSmooth is a registered trademark.
They also have the Bend modifier; So what I can't make a Bend Pro modifier?:P

Last edited by obliviboy : 10 October 2012 at 05:31 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by obliviboy
The creases can only be defined in the Editable Poly object. They can't be animated.
If I would define them in the tb pro modifier then changing the topology under it would destroy the them.

I'm not aware the name TurboSmooth is a registered trademark.
They also have the Bend modifier; So what I can't make a Bend Pro modifier?:P

Yeah the name might be not be registered. You might be 100% fine. Just would hate to see you forced to change it down the line.

Old 10 October 2012   #20
I think SuperDuperSmooth would be a safe bet

Old 10 October 2012   #21

I released version 1.01.

Changes in 1.01
-Added a visualize edge creases mode
-Fixed a bug that caused faces set invisible to be displayed after they have been subdivided
-Fixed a typo in the UI, "Linear" instead of "Liniar"

Here is a video of the new Visualize edge crease mode http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sLJ0ftVu_8

Old 10 October 2012   #22
some are saying that with this you get a smaller polycount and others that you need more polygons for a smooth results. compared to normal support loops.

anyone tryed it out and compared the results?

Old 10 October 2012   #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-boy
some are saying that with this you get a smaller polycount and others that you need more polygons for a smooth results. compared to normal support loops.

anyone tryed it out and compared the results?
The base object will be lower in polycount as there won't be support edges, giving you the ability to easily modify it, but the subdivided mesh will be higher poly because it needs more iterations. Render iterations can be useful to only subdivide at render time.

Old 10 October 2012   #24
The ultimate no-brainer buy for Max modelers.

The integration is seamless. I understand what Neil is saying in terms of licensing but I just assume the developer stay independent so we do not have to wait for features and bug fixes. At least for the short term.

Long term, being able to import/export weighted subds through FBX would obviously be most welcome.

Thanks Obliviboy and Pixar.

Old 10 October 2012   #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by obliviboy
The base object will be lower in polycount as there won't be support edges, giving you the ability to easily modify it, but the subdivided mesh will be higher poly because it needs more iterations. Render iterations can be useful to only subdivide at render time.

Another thing to consider, lets say you have a really long and thin box. If you have no inbetween loops, you'll need to add a really large crease value on the edges to get them sharp. So in these cases, adding support edges, even though you're using creases, will make the creases look better. But instead of adding the support edges right next to each other, I generally cut the box in half with a new edge loop, so your long face is now half as long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fez
The integration is seamless. I understand what Neil is saying in terms of licensing but I just assume the developer stay independent so we do not have to wait for features and bug fixes. At least for the short term.

Long term, being able to import/export weighted subds through FBX would obviously be most welcome.

Yes, being independent does mean faster iteration cycles on fixes.

But sadly, I (and I assume some other people) can't use this plugin because most of my modeling needs to be eventually moved to Maya / Mudbox. So support edges for me.

- Neil

Old 10 October 2012   #26
Some cases are kind of weird though as far as developing new 3ds Max features--like the Viewport Canvas, originally not very useful but then they had one developer build that into a way more useful 3D painter with layer support and filters and stuff. Makes you wonder why they can't do that type of thing with lots of features.

Old 10 October 2012   #27
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread