Getting Alias files into C4D...?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2013
Getting Alias files into C4D...?

Has anyone worked with, or received files from Alias? It looks like it can export to at least IGES and more importantly, STEP. But is there an even superior option? I'm wondering if it's possible to get clean mesh into C4D, versus the usual triangulated nonsense from .OBJ.

Thanks.

11 November 2013
I frequently use MOI to import STEO or IEGS files and then export to OBJ. MOI is inexpensive and gives very good control over mesh output when exporting to OBJ.

11 November 2013
Originally Posted by travismetcalf: I frequently use MOI to import STEO or IEGS files and then export to OBJ. MOI is inexpensive and gives very good control over mesh output when exporting to OBJ.

Oh, indeed. Thanks. I already use MOI extensively, as well as ViaCAD and Rhino. I should have mentioned those details.

What I was more curious about, considering that it's a slightly avant-garde design / modeling program, was whether that might be any superior methods for generating super high quality (quad) mesh right from Alias, or a more "native" format which C4D might read.

I realize it's likely a pipe dream, but even MOI's N-Gon export function is actually nothing but window-dressing. The base mesh is still a triangulated mess, as are any other .OBJ files from any other program.

11 November 2013
Originally Posted by sneather: Oh, indeed. Thanks. I already use MOI extensively, as well as ViaCAD and Rhino. I should have mentioned those details.

What I was more curious about, considering that it's a slightly avant-garde design / modeling program, was whether that might be any superior methods for generating super high quality (quad) mesh right from Alias, or a more "native" format which C4D might read.

I realize it's likely a pipe dream, but even MOI's N-Gon export function is actually nothing but window-dressing. The base mesh is still a triangulated mess, as are any other .OBJ files from any other program.

I donīt know what you expect... but you will never get a clean mesh from the conversion of a NURBS file... thats impossible and that lie in the nature and difference between polygons and NURBS.

11 November 2013
Originally Posted by sneather: considering that it's a slightly avant-garde design / modeling program

Nothing really modern or avant garde about Alias, It's been around for almost 20 years.
If you get your.obj with a normal tag (Alias can't but Rhino will) then why care about tessellation? It will always render perfect.

11 November 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread