DAZ Studio 4.5.2.40 implements OpenSubDiv

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
I think if you got the DAZ emails every day you'd understand what I was talking about.

Also the installation is a little better. I removed every trace of DAZ I could find, and then reinstalled with their install tool. It was a little better, although the software installed content to my user folder as the default, but the content was all installed to the public user folder. They didn't create a great way to change the overall default.

I just use it for posing basic manikins, many times just a single limb is needed, for illustrating product usage.

I suppose I can't blame DAZ too much since the created content is by users bast the base models. I think they would be used quite a bit more if some users focused on more business and medical friendly content. For instance, there is a doctor, but with blood all over. Ok, well that could be useful, but it's more like zombie murder movie blood than surgery blood. And he has an antiquated light reflector on his head instead of the hasmat like suits they use now.
So for any of you freelancers that are out there that can't seem to sell much, shift your focus a bit. I'd buy it.

Also, if you're going to make something like a skeleton, it should fit the character. The existing one doesn't. It moves fine on it's own, but doesn't fit the character.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by wancow: andrewjohn81

I have no idea where the idea of "slutty characters" comes from unless you're talking about what you see on Renderosity... that says more about that website than the software.

Maybe not slutty, but then again, they're aren't shy about pushing sex to sell, with that image on Daz 4.5.2.40 product page-- a BDSM fetishized mistress with the large-breasts, leather straps, angel wings, corset, lace, bikini bottoms, leather choker...

http://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-pro-beta

04 April 2013
Fair Enough. You aught to write DAZ an email about that, telling them your impression of their company. Knowing what I do about them, I'll be very interested in their response.

That said, we're the topic was about the software, not about renders you find offensive

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by andrewjohn81: Also, if you're going to make something like a skeleton, it should fit the character. The existing one doesn't. It moves fine on it's own, but doesn't fit the character.

http://www.daz3d.com/v4-and-m4-skeletons

These fit the previous generation figures, and the auto fit has been successful in converting them to the Generation 5 figures by several who have this skeleton.

Just a minor issue with your use of the word "character". Genesis is not a character, it is an androgenous figure.

04 April 2013
Hmmm, those are the skeletons I have, but they don't fit. I guess I'll have to email them about it.

And to me, Genesis is a character. A very simple androgynous character. lol
I use that one as a non-gendered character to show size occasionally. Classify it how you want. Figure, or character.

04 April 2013
Okay, we can disagree on this. But to me, a character is a person, fictional or real, that has some developed personality. A figure is... well, not a character... it has no character

But that's me...

In any event, the ideal way to convert the skeleton to Genesis is this way:

Load the Skeleton and Genesis.

Select the Skeleton, and goto Edit:Figure:Rigging:Convert to Weight Mapped Figure

The default is TriAx weight mapping, leave it there and convert.

Select Genesis.

If it is the M4 Skeleton, apply that morph to Genesis. If it is the V4 Skeleton, apply that morph to Genesis. You will need the shapes: http://www.daz3d.com/v4-and-m4-shapes-for-genesis

With the Skeleton Selected, go to the Transfer Utility: Edit:Figure:Transfer Utility

Source is Genesis. Item Shape: select "Current"
Target is the Skeleton
(this will not work unless the skeleton figure is converted to TriAx first)

Hit "Show Options"

The Second to the last check box in the list is "Reverse Source Shape from Target" Enable that.

You might also want to apply a smoothing modifier, but that's not necessary at this point...

Hit "Accept"

D|S will then convert the Skeleton to Genesis.

IF this is problematic, you can also use the OBJ file directly. Sometimes that works better.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by andrewjohn81: Hmmm, those are the skeletons I have, but they don't fit. I guess I'll have to email them about it.

And to me, Genesis is a character. A very simple androgynous character. lol
I use that one as a non-gendered character to show size occasionally. Classify it how you want. Figure, or character.

I suppose you could consider Genesis a character and a figure, but it is not an arbitrary distinction among Daz/Poser users. A figure generally has a unique mesh and rigging from other figures. Characters are customizations of figures intended to make them distinct. Figures tend to come either from Daz, are provided content with Poser, or are made from scratch by a handful of independent vendors/individuals. And from this starting point nearly any user can transform a generic figure into a hopefully more interesting character. So in a sense while you could technically call "Posette" a character most Poser users would not.

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread