Macbook Pro performance in Maya and Zbrush

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by cgbeige: it won't fry your laptop. I use my MBP for overnight renders even and it's fine. That's what the fans are for. And rotating ZBrush meshes in Windows only uses a tiny bit less CPU:

http://www.can-con.ca/tumblrpics/zbwin.jpg

You're running ZBrush inside a virtual machine via Parallels, so that view of the task manager might not be your actual cpu usage reading, but the virtual machines. Try it again, and instead view the cpu usage via the activity monitor in OS X.

I tried the Windows version on my MBP using Crossover and it works as it should, hardly using any CPU for the same basic tasks. The Mac version of ZBrush does not work correctly since the processor usage is not normal compared the the Windows version.

Please show me any other app on OS X that uses as much CPU as what ZBrush is. In the screen capture that I took, it's using 750% cpu, and that's simply rotating the view with a basic mesh. It's hammering the CPU harder than any render engine and it's definitely not normal. It causes the fans to start immediately and will certainly cause damage. Other apps that uses high CPU like rendering are controlled, then will not try to use more CPU than what's there, but this bug seems to try and use more CPU than anything available and is hammering the processor. Definitely not useable like this.

Originally Posted by anthonyw: There's no way this is normal behavior. It's a bug. If you look at the activity monitor ZBrush uses 100% CPU when doing the most basic tasks such as rotating the view. Using ZBrush on Mac in this state is a good way to fry your laptop. Funny thing is that using the Windows version on Mac via Parallels works fine. Pixologic obviously doesn't pay as much attention to the Mac port...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=140&t=1082916

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showth...-i7-CPU-Fan-100

Doing the same thing in Windows via Fusion... not a problem. However the problem is that I'm supposed to be able to use ZBrush in OS X and not have to use the Windows version...

Last edited by anthonyw : 12 December 2012 at 01:32 AM.

12 December 2012
Quote: You're running ZBrush inside a virtual machine via Parallels, so that view of the task manager might not be your actual cpu usage reading, but the virtual machines. Try it again, and instead view the cpu usage via the activity monitor in OS X.

It was exactly the same I was checking my menu bar CPU monitor at the same time. It's not an emulator - it's a VM so the CPU indication inside a VM is perfectly accurate. It might just not give you 100% of actual performance relative to a native boot of the OS, but that's different. I happen to know a bit about virtual machine software - I review them for Ars Technica.

You don't have to use the Windows version. Yes, it seems to redline less, which is nice, but I have been using ZBrush on my various MBP laptops for years and never had any issues with heat. Apple hires these guys known as "engineers" and they're paid cash money to not be idiots. Like I said, I have been using my 2011 17" unibody MBP (and earlier ones) as an added render node for long jobs and my computer never once overheated.

Last edited by cgbeige : 12 December 2012 at 04:51 PM.

12 December 2012
It's using more CPU for just rotating the view than any other app on my system. There's no way I'm trusting that it's safe. Pixologic has already acknowledged that it's a bug a while ago from what I found on the forums, but they still haven't released and update that addresses this yet. From my own experience of running the mac vs windows versions the difference is drastic and there is definitely something wrong with the mac build.

12 December 2012
well, the performance is only a tiny bit better on Windows, so any perceived difference is placebo effect:

http://polygonspixelsandpaint.tumbl...post/3353016788

A program can't break your system just because it's using excessive CPU cycles to do something like mesh rotation. Your paranoia is kind of excessive.

12 December 2012
Not really, the performance difference between the Mac and Windows version of ZBrush is excessive. That link that you supplied is not what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about Mac vs Windows. I'm talking about the difference between the ZBrush build for Mac and Windows. Please take another look at the two screenshots that I supplied. The difference is not a 'tiny bit', it's HUGE. It might not be on your system, but there is a very big difference on mine and on other's.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showth...ll=1#post917896
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showth...-i7-CPU-Fan-100

No other 3D apps cause this problem for me besides ZBrush and Sculptris. Pixologic has apparently acknowledged this issue, so it is definitely there. They just seem to be incompetent when it comes to Macs apparently. It took forever for them to release the Mac update to ZBrush 3 when the Windows version was out for months, and apparently now they take on a new app, Sculptris and whatever they are doing is really weird considering that it has the same issue as ZBrush with it causing the CPU to go out of control.

Last edited by anthonyw : 12 December 2012 at 09:28 PM.

12 December 2012
well, I haven't seen that lag they mention in that post and I've been using ZBrush on various Macs.

12 December 2012
Even worse with 4R5 now... this is just launching Zbrush, and not even touching any part of the interface!

Last edited by anthonyw : 12 December 2012 at 03:09 AM.

12 December 2012
Regardless of how efficient or how hard the software pushes your laptop, it wont break it, melt it or damage it, you are being kinda paranoid about it; your computer has fans for a reason.

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by imashination: Regardless of how efficient or how hard the software pushes your laptop, it wont break it, melt it or damage it, you are being kinda paranoid about it; your computer has fans for a reason.

That's not really the point though, this software is not working properly. No other software behaves this way for me, but both options from pixologic does...

12 December 2012
Quote: get some noise cancelling headphones and forget about the fans. Just get some work done.

LMAO- STEVE JOBS JR!
"What do you mean the Antenna doesn't work, YOU IDIOTS ARE HOLDING YOUR PHONES WRONG!"

12 December 2012
Shawn from Autodesk had a PC laptop that he used with Mudbox - it died from overheating. Ask him if that happens on his MBP. Fans are a necessity and the OS and machine are working correctly it's ZBrush that's just triggering it correctly since it uses CPU so much. If an AMD driver crashes my gaming machine, I don't curse Bill Gates and Windows. BUT LOL STEVE JOBS MY OS AND HARDWARE WORKS HOW IT SHOULD I'M A FANBOY WRITING IN ALL CAPS.

Here's something that may blow your mind: it's possible to have a bug in your program on any platform. mental ray is drastically slower on Windows than it is in OS X and Linux that's a compiler issue, not a Windows issue.

Last edited by cgbeige : 12 December 2012 at 04:31 PM.

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by cgbeige: ...I don't curse Bill Gates and Windows....

I do... it makes me sleep better at night :P

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by tswalk: I do... it makes me sleep better at night :P

This made me smile!

01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread