Need some help with shadows

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Need some help with shadows

Hello. In this image, you can see that I have a light shining through a window and onto a skeleton, but the shadow from the window is on the floor and I don't want it there. I do, however, want the skeleton shadow. Is there a way I can fix this?

http://i.imgur.com/Fpfe9.png

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by andrewmac12: Hello. In this image, you can see that I have a light shining through a window and onto a skeleton, but the shadow from the window is on the floor and I don't want it there. I do, however, want the skeleton shadow. Is there a way I can fix this?

http://i.imgur.com/Fpfe9.png

put a compositing tag on your window object and then turn of cast shadows.

09 September 2012
But wouldn't that then make the window object useless? I'm using that object to cast shadows on certain parts of the skeleton object. I just dot want the shadows on the floor.

09 September 2012
Duplicate your light and use the include/exclude list.

Light1 with shadow = include walls + skeleton

Light2 with shadow = include walls + floor

that way, the window will cast its shadow on both the skeleton and floor, but the skeleton won't cast its shadows on the floor (while still receiving it from the window).

09 September 2012
I'm curious as to why you need to duplicate the light.

If he leaves the mode on Exclude and drags in the window object and disables Illumination (and maybe specular if required), then basically the light will illuminate the window, but not cast a shadow from it.

09 September 2012
He wants the shadow of the window in the scene and skeleton, so if you do this, the window will be bypassed altogether.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by fluffouille: Duplicate your light and use the include/exclude list.

Light1 with shadow = include walls + skeleton

Light2 with shadow = include walls + floor

that way, the window will cast its shadow on both the skeleton and floor, but the skeleton won't cast its shadows on the floor (while still receiving it from the window).

That worked, BUT what I want is the skeleton to cast a shadow and not the wall.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by andrewmac12: That worked, BUT what I want is the skeleton to cast a shadow and not the wall.

Figured it out. Just reversed what you said. Thanks!

09 September 2012
But wait... I still want the window object to cast it's shadows on the guy. Just not on the floor.

Guys, this is complicated...

09 September 2012
Light 1 = window + wall + skeleton
Light 2 = skeleton + floor

That should do it?

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by fluffouille: Light 1 = window + wall + skeleton
Light 2 = skeleton + floor

That should do it?

That does exactly what I need it to do, except look how the light is still shining on the upper half of his body, when it needs to be shaded.

So close...

09 September 2012
just make an object to block the light, set it to not be seen by camera but to cast shadows.

09 September 2012
Indeed. If you have no physical wall/window, then you need to emulate that with an object somehow.

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread