Waterfall Village, Mats Holmberg (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2004
Waterfall Village, Mats Holmberg (2D)

Title: Waterfall Village
Name: Mats Holmberg
Software: Photoshop

I did this picture for two reasons. The first was becuase a company searching for new staff wanted applicants to submit a pic done from a description - "village thatís built vertically". I thought this sounded pretty cool, so i started sketching it out.
The second reason as to why i did this pic, was to get going with the painting again after my summer vacation.

Unfortunately, I've had extremely little time this past month, so when i submitted the pic to the company, they had already filled the slot. That's life.

I constructed this vertical village from different architectural reference, mostly central European medival (Roman) architecture.
I also thought about why someone would want to build a vertical village, and to me the only obvious reason was defense. With that in mind i designed it pretty much like a castle.
Enough rambling - enjoy the pic!

09 September 2004
Thumbs up Oooo!

beatiful!!!Excellent!!
Great job!
I like it!

09 September 2004
nice~

wonderful colors
i like it.

09 September 2004
hey mats...

3... 2... 1... bungyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy hehehe

i really love th colors and the style. i think you should paint more fantasy stuff like this

cheers
-amoe-

09 September 2004
Thanks for the sugar, guys! Sure, I like sugar... but crits are very welcome too.

Amoe: Hmm... more fantasy you say? Well, maybe - after my current project maybe. Still, I'm a real sucker for sci-fi and i've never been very much into fantasy. But we'll see what happens.

09 September 2004
Wow! Really great picture! Can't find anything wrong with it except maybe for the town/village/mountain in the background that could have been a little bit more interesting (like another vertical village in the same style... ) - but still, with the little time you had it is excellent.

Pity about the job but hopefully they now know who you are so maybe they need people in the future...

09 September 2004
Just lovely!

Can I live there?

Scannerlicker!

09 September 2004
hmmm.. really really good... one of the best... remembers me the works of james gurney (in quality of rendering only... I am not comparing) your work is very origional in conceptualisation... cylinders at the distance could have been improved with some distant mountains...

09 September 2004
Thanks once again for the kind words - it's wonderful to hear you like it!

I agree with you on the castle in the background though. My initial idea was to make it different from the village in order to make it look alien and menacing. Maybe i should've given that idea up and instead made the castle more similar to the village?
Cheers!

09 September 2004
really nice scene you got here. the castle in the background looks a bit strange, maybe if it resembled the foreground castle more the consistency would help the composition.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread