Master Copies - Post Your Copies From The Great Masters! 2D/3D D/T DRWG/PTG/SCULPTURE

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2005
Arrow Master Copies - Post Your Copies From The Great Masters! 2D/3D D/T DRWG/PTG/SCULPTURE

Guys,

Copying from the Old Masters is one of the best ways in which to learn how to draw, paint, and sculpt. I have returned continually not just to the same Old Master Artists, but to the same Drawings, and find that each time I discover new things which I had not before absorbed.

Please post your best efforts here!

1. Please post a link to / image of the ORIGINAL Master Work for comparison as well as YOUR copy!

2. Post the MEDIUM which you used and approximately how long you worked on your copy.

3. Post a bit about your WORK PROCESS.

Please limit the size to 600 pixel WIDTH (length please keep reasonable).

Thanks!

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 07 July 2005 at 01:23 PM.

07 July 2005
Greetings from Valencia (Spain)

I think 600px is good but i have some images over this size. I prefer to show the best resolution that i have in my computer.

these are the links:

Annibale Carraci 1597 Study of Paris

Michelangelo Study of Lybian
MIchelangelo, Two Figures (Red Chalk)
Pierre Paul Prud'hon, Study Man
Pierre Paul Prud'hon, Study Woman
Pierre Paul Prud'hon, Study Woman
Raphael, Nude Man with raised arms
Raphael, two men nudes
Peter Paul Rubens, Seated nude youth
Peter Paul Rubens, Study for a crucified man

I hope that it be useful

César.

[edited to fix a link. cheers. Yves - Forum Leader]

Last edited by Equinoxx : 07 July 2005 at 08:36 AM.

07 July 2005
Talking

Transfer,

Hello, and thank you for posting these links! However, what I would like to see posted in this thread is YOUR work ~ YOUR drawings which have been copied from the masters.

Having said that, it would be great to have a thread dedicated to Master Drawings Resources...

Thank you for your post!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

07 July 2005
Hello!
Here is my painting, it's a copy from one of the bulgarians old masters - Ivan Mrkvichka
It's not finished yet, as you can see, but i will finish it soon ...
The size of that painting is 124X82 cm - the same as the original... and it took me about three months to made it.. i'm sorry for the quality of the photos, but my room is a little bit dark..so - here is it:

07 July 2005
Talking

kekata,

Thank you for your post!

Can you post a link to the original Master Painting? This would help us to see how you are seeing and interpreting the work of the Master.

Thanks!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

07 July 2005
yeah - here si the photos of the original, it's not so big, but that's all that i have...

07 July 2005
My version of "Spring Tonic", Inspired by Rockwell :P

Hey guys,

Here's a painting I did of one of my favorite artists' works, Norman Rockwell.
I chose to charicaturize the characters. I copied it from one of Rockwell's books.
Its done with gouache on watercolor paper (its tiny, about 8 x 5 1/2). Took me about a day.
I loved painting this coz I learned alot from it. Rockwell is just the greatest.

c&c are more than welcome.

-Kei

some close ups:

And here is the original painting:
(sorry, this verion doesn't do the painting justice)

Last edited by Kei-Acedera : 07 July 2005 at 06:40 PM.

07 July 2005
Rockwell

I know Norman fell out of favor for a while, but I've always found an honest charm in his work, not to mention his gift as a draftsman and painter. What you've done with this is just charming as all get out, and with gouache? I have a cheapo set of gouache and I so want to learn the medium. I just have no idea where to begin.

I apparently misunderstood the thread thinking it was drawing. I'm excited to do a painting now.. thanks for the inspiration!

A

07 July 2005
rebeccak, thanks again... you're making me blush...

and no, no training before school... i guess it comes kinda natural? idunno...

i'll definately submit more when i have the time to photograph some more work properly, as most of it is way too big for the scanner. although, hand drawn animation this semester prevents me from doing much else.

all the rest of the work in this thread is also very impressive. Kei Acedera, i love how you've adapted a master work into your own style... specially using guache. *shudder*

07 July 2005
KEi.. so lovely drawing u have there,..
Uridian.. u also have a good thing there ^_^

Quote: AWESOME, just AWESOME ~ thank you for posting this! Let me ask, though ~ was any tracing involved? I'm not sure it matters to me, but I wanted to ask

Rebecca, thank you. ^_^ sorry not to mention it at first... I'm not using tracing, but... I'm using Grid method in photoshop :P I know it lil bit like a cheat but more better than tracing. lol. I just want the drawing to be more accurate.

07 July 2005
AdrielaSakamoto - Thank you very much...I'm happy to inspire you..and I really encourage you and anyone to paint traditionally, especially nowadays when digital painting is more convenient. I think its very important that we all don't lose our traditional skills.

Paint is good for the skin :P

uRiDiAN- Thank you! your drawings are very nice.

dareevan- Thanks a lot! I really like the painting you did...very well done!

Great job everyone!

Last edited by Kei-Acedera : 07 July 2005 at 06:52 PM.

07 July 2005
Talking

Kei Acedera,

I am truly inspired! Your paintings are truly charming, and I sincerely hope one day you get to do a children's book, or some project which puts to good use your amazing talents!

BTW, you should definitely post some of your work on the Portraits and Caricatures - 2D / 3D TRADITIONAL AND DIGITAL - YOO HOO BOBBY CHIU thread ~ heh, I had to bait Bob, but I'm actually having a hard time telling your caricatures apart from his...yep, I'd be happy to lure the both of you into posting on this thread!

Thanks for the awesome post!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 07 July 2005 at 04:56 PM.

09 September 2005
Hello,
This is my first artwork on cgtalk forum.
When I used to go to Gym, I inspired by arnie and many bodybuilders.At that time I had done many drawings.But this artwork was special for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arnie.jpg (89.4 KB, 53 views)

09 September 2005
Talking

sylvexsan,

Welcome to CGTalk and to the Anatomy Forum! It is great to see your work here.

Wow, this is a really incredible drawing!! Arnold is instantly recognizable, and there is just a real beauty to the manner in which you have rendered this image. Can you tell us a bit about your art background and training? Do you still draw / paint? If so, I definitely look forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Rebecca, thanks for the comments I like the xerox idea, I'll definitely try that with the next one.

Another Cambiaso copy, this time I blocked it in with pencil, then went over with ink, then added in some 10% cool grey prismacolor marker for the shadows. Didn't have access to a copier tonight, so I went ahead and finished it. Learned alot, as usual

Cambiaso - A Man Sitting on a Throne

Copy

Thread Closed share thread