Riptide Pro v2.6.1 (new) and Altizure 3d maps...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2018
Riptide Pro v2.6.1 (new) and Altizure 3d maps...

I just uploaded a v2.6.1 update to Riptide Pro, which contains an important bug fix, but also a new feature to fix an issue with the output of the Altizure 3d-mapping program...

A customer brought this application to my attention recently and wanted some advice on loading the data using Riptide Pro and I thought my research might be useful to others using that program, but also in general in using Riptide Pro to create import presets for output from various different apps. Below is an edited version of my reply...

The current sample files / archive contains 5 Level Of Details (LODs), with the highest level being made up of 32x32 .obj files, with the same number of .mtl and texture files. The entire archive is 4000+ files. But let's start small, to figure out the particulars of how these files are laid out...

What I did was first load the lowest LOD (LOD 0), which is just a single .obj file (tile_0_0_0_tex.obj), using the "Default Import Options" Preset. With that loaded, I saw that I needed adjustments to a few Riptide Pro Import options, including:

- Scale Up by a factor of 10 (optional - just to make it easier to deal with)
- Enable "Swap Y/Z Axis" (flip the model upright)
- Enable "Flip X Axis" (flip the model left->right)
- Disable "Center Mesh Axis" (optional - leaves the axis of the model at 0/0/0 world space... this is maybe more important when you start importing the higher LODs, with multiple meshes)

...with those options changed (from the "Default Import Options" preset), the model loads and looks as intended.

So, now we know the right settings, so we need to figure out how to handle the multi-file LODs. To make things (much, much) easier, I created 5 separate LOD0, LOD1...LOD5 folders. I then moved all 4000+ files into the appropriate folders (including the appropriate .mtl and .jpg files).

Now that each LOD has it's own folder, I can enable the "Multiple/Batch Files" option [Note that you don't have to keep resetting all the above other options, they are 'sticky' from the previous import - we're just adding that change]. Here are those settings...

Next, I imported the LOD1 folder - this is the next step up of detail, made up of 4 .obj files... and noticed that the materials are all named the same! ("obj_0"). Using the default import options, this causes a problem - the texture of the singular material keeps getting replaced by each .obj file as it loads, so only the final .obj that loads looks correct. To address this problem, Riptide Pro has another option on the "Materials" tab... select the "Always Create New Materials" option...

...so, with the above settings, you can import any of the LOD folders and everything should look correct. Here is the highest level of detail (LOD5) imported and rendered...

[note that that final image (LOD5) has some ~1023 materials, all named "obj_0". The v2.6.1 update of Riptide Pro that I just uploaded has a fix to give them all unique names.]

Once you have the import dialog options all set how you want them, you can (probably should) create a new "Altizure Import" preset for future use, by clicking the "Create" button in the Presets area.

I hope this was helpful.

Cheers,

Last edited by Keith Young : 02 February 2018 at 04:35 AM.

02 February 2018
...just a quick clarification... in the final image above, I had imported LOD5 - a folder containing 32x32 (1024) .obj + .mtl + .jpg files that make up the scene(!) - there's 1024 separate meshes, each with it's own material/texture. Using the above options, I was able to do this with a single Riptide Pro import operation.

I didn't bother counting the various .obj/.mtl/.jpg files, but after adding the new "unique material name" code in v2.6.1, I somehow ended up with 1023 separate materials ("obj_0" + "obj_00001" + "obj_0002" + "obj_00003... obj_01022" ) - not sure why there's not 1024(?), but the scene looks correct .

EDIT: well, I did just count the files and sure enough, there's 1023 of each .obj/.mtl/.jpg files that make up LOD5... still seems like there should be 1024, but hey, at least the plugin is working correctly / as expected .

Last edited by Keith Young : 02 February 2018 at 05:12 AM.

02 February 2018
Thanks for the continued work on this Keith - Riptide Pro is an important part of my workflow.

reply share thread