WIP: Kreola - Akim Fimin

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2013
Finished generators
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kreola_sketch_08_sml.jpg (64.8 KB, 0 views)

11 November 2013
Originally Posted by JamesColmer: Hi Akim,

Well done on the final entry, it looks really good, especially the foreground lighting. Did you use a photo reference for that, or did you make that section in 3D? If so, what program do you use?

Excellent work.

Best
James

Thank you James! I'm glad you like it!
The most of objects on the foreground is 3d. I usually works in Luxology Modo and I really love it's interface and how objects in viewport and prerender looks like. It's very easy to learn software and it cost not as much as Maya or 3dmax, so check it if you like.

My final image:

HD format

11 November 2013
I really like your work Akim. It's nice, sunny and open to space. I'd like to be there for at lest one day, now - when all this creative, sleepless madness is over .

Regards
Jonatan

11 November 2013
Originally Posted by Jonatan-Moonchild: I really like your work Akim. It's nice, sunny and open to space. I'd like to be there for at lest one day, now - when all this creative, sleepless madness is over .

Regards
Jonatan

Heh, glad to hear it, man! Thank you! I'd like to teleport there to ) I'd sit on one of that chair on the left with glass of wine or beer and start to relax. But I think I'll start to watch on some parts of the opposite side and think "damn, this texture was a bit ugly, I'm gonna fix it when I will back home, lol"

11 November 2013
Originally Posted by JamesColmer: Thanks Akim,

I'll have a look at Mari, but I'm hopeless with 3D programs, I can only use Bryce..

I just posted a larger image if you're interest, but it's still only half size:

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums...-1.jpg~original

Yes I love little details...can you guess!

best
James

Hi James!
Yes, Mari is a very powerfull tool, I'm gonna try to learn it too in future.
This version of your work I like even more. Some dark parts now is looking too contrast and black for me, but this effect gives a good sharp look to the image

Originally Posted by JamesColmer: Hi Akim,

The only thing I would have loved to see is some Steampunk in your image as per the story brief, as it's very futuristic right now, but it's still a great looking image. I'll have a look at Modo and see if my head explodes...thanks for that.

Best
James

Well, I understand that you mean, but brief also says steam-punk science fiction tale. So it is my vision of this world. As we know that it's future and humans colonized other planets it may us think about big progress in all human technologies.
But steampunk in it's classic interpretation usually means alternative way of Victorian society evolution in XIX century. But there are three main subdivisions of steampunk and one of them is close to sci-fi. So I decided that it shoul be close to it.

The great feature of this challenge is the way how people interpreted the brief in their works. It is very impressive how different and nice the final gallery looks like!

Last edited by AkimF : 11 November 2013 at 03:05 PM.

11 November 2013
Hi James!
I think you're understood me bit wrong. I was not "doing sci-fi" in my work. If you see any sci-fi elements in my work, could you point me on that ?

I think the most impotant thing in brief is fact that we talking about movie shot for film about future of humanity.

About examples of futuristic steampunk. You can walk to Bryan Sola thread and check there, he's got very good references.

And here some I found now, for example ...

Last edited by AkimF : 11 November 2013 at 09:06 AM.

11 November 2013
Yes, I agree with all your words from previous message. I must admit that your work look very steampunkish in classic sense definition.

11 November 2013
Steampunked

Dear Akim,

Maybe as artists we all have to agree that we all generally disagree about the definition of steam-punk: http://www.awn.com/articles/article...-goes-steampunk

As this reference eg:

does qualify as a steampunk future to me. So does Last Exile and How's moving Castle as well as Chris Weitz' interpretaion of the Golden Compass, which ultimately comes down to the new being combined with the old.

That said, I would have loved to see a rusty steam pipe element of some sort in the foreground. Despite whatever art directional feedback I might be able to provide you hear on the spot, your execution is excellent and your workflow brilliant. I am impressed how well you have pulled of the enormous scale you decided to establish from the beginning on.
If I wanted to be a bit more nit-picky however, I would suggest to you to watch your lighting more and take more cues from the given plate. Especially the amount of bounce light throughout your image, as well as the cast shadows of the additional objects. Overall the entire Matte Painting is very well balanced and I am extremely happy with the result.
The only thing in this image that absolutely needs more attention is that light pole on screen right, that you stuck on that pedestal.

We have two Matte Painters in our department who use Modo and even though I haven't had a chance to dive into the software myself yet, I see its potential of becoming one of the major players over the next few years.
Thank you for participating. I'll be keeping an eye out for your name in the future. Please share any new images you have with us on this forum from now on.

Kind Regards,
Milan

11 November 2013
Hello Milan

Yes, I absolutely agree, this work should look more steampunk-ish to fit more the description. I think if I'd start work again from scratch, I made it in bit different way.

Thank you for such good words about pipeline. I'm very glad that you like it and yes, one of my main goal this time was to show the scale and big space. I think matte painting work should be focused on the background first and then on midground. Foreground elements usually came from live plate (decorations) or it's usually the work of 3d generalists and composers. But I like to work with foreground elements too So, the main challenge for me was to stop on something, because I was not happy almost in every part of my image (and I'm still unhappy, lol). Now I'm a bit tired of this, and I think I'll leave some parts as it is. Yes, thank you for pointing on this two main problems (bouncing light and shadows). I hope I'll sit and fix it with the fresh look later. The shadows is inaccurate in many-many parts of the image, so it will be very huge amount of work of re-lighting and re-shadowing.

Heh, Milan, I think that Modo is your choice really (also Cinema 4d, maybe) . I started use it firstly just for generating main shapes and geometry for proper perspective in my matte work. But more I used it more I found some useful tools in there. And my renders was became more and more detailed and more photoreal. Now I'm still very far from the guys who use it as professional 3d artists, but I can't imagine my work without this software. And you are right, I'm sure it will be the one of major players because it's part of Foundry now and we know how good Nuke is. So their team will be develop more integration tools for Modo+Nuke combo. Let's see.

Well, it was a big pleasure for me to participate in this challenge. I will definitely post all my new works here in forum.

Oh, by the way, I want to post here the next new version of my work with the new light poles and with some more small fixes of the image

HD format

11 November 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread