CG object reflecting in live footage

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
CG object reflecting in live footage

That problem bugging me for awhile now, but I thankfully has not run into it on production, yet. What is needed for successfully compose 3d object reflection into real life reflection? with mirror or any other opaque object it is fairly simple - make plane, make it reflective, mask reflection out, yadda-yadda-yadda... but what if it is not a mirror but transparent object? Say, window, for example, and you can see what is behind it?

In the making of-s I often see that they shoot RL objects (cars for example) on greenscreen, and they don't have any glass at all, so it probably recreated in 3d later... but that is RL objects that will be later composed into cgi environment, and glass is not there, probably, so it won't reflect greenscreen itself.

So, how do I make CG character reflect in window, or compose it behind reflecting window?

08 August 2013
for something reflecting in a window you would do it the same way as the with the mirror, but turn it down in compositing (make it semi opaque)
its gets complicated when you have to remove reflections from the actual footage, because your cg object would occlude that reflection.

objects behind glass is also a painful task, you have to find a way to remove the reflections and brind them back on. mostly a paint job

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by pingking: for something reflecting in a window you would do it the same way as the with the mirror, but turn it down in compositing (make it semi opaque)

but then it will be semi-transparent as well, original reflections from behind the CG actor would bleed through him.

08 August 2013
as i said: if the new reflection occludes other reflections (from the footage) it gets complicated and you have to remove the real reflections (mostly a paint job)

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread