A few beginner problems with 3ds max

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
A few beginner problems with 3ds max

Hi, everyone. Let me preface this with the fact that I am brand new to learning this software. I've been using it for about a week. I am most likely not going to understand the terminology that you will want to use in response to my question/s, and I am almost surely not going to know where to find whatever it is you're talking about. That is to say that it would be nice if you walk me through whatever you're talking about.

First problem: I have no 'Flat Mirror' map anywhere. There was a tutorial that made reference to this and I absolutely don't have it / don't see it anywhere. What do I do about that?

Second problem: on some models, the daylight system defaults to a setting so bright that it turns the entire render white with the exception of a few dark patches. There are no settings I have touched that change this. When looking at other threads that discuss a similar problem, someone mentioned a control that was called "*something* and attenuation". I don't have this control on my modify panel even though it was there a few minutes ago.

Third problem: I have found a tutorial that showed me how to assume the camera view and move the camera around, but didn't say what key command allows me to leave the camera view. How do I do this?

Thanks in advance.

*EDIT: I apologise If this is a repost, but I am unable to find any confirmation that my thread was actually created earlier, so I'm creating it again.

07 July 2013
1) there is a mirror in the modifier drop down, you can mirror it, but sometimes you have to change the pivot using the hierarchy panel.

2) idk what you mean by the render lighting. if its set to default and you didn't mess about it should be good enough, if you added LIGHTS to your scene, especially an omni, it could make it too bright.

bottom line, you just need to head on over to youtube and watch some basics series on 3ds to get a good feel for the program. Or alternatively, maybe even better, is do a follow along yoututbe video where the author walks you through making something simple, like a sword or a house.

Unlike blender their aren't that many preset hotkeys for things in 3ds, you'll have to customize the UI

07 July 2013
Quote: First problem: I have no 'Flat Mirror' map anywhere. There was a tutorial that made reference to this and I absolutely don't have it / don't see it anywhere. What do I do about that?
It's only available for reflection slots.
http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/13/...umber=d0e343861

Quote: Second problem: on some models, the daylight system defaults to a setting so bright that it turns the entire render white with the exception of a few dark patches. There are no settings I have touched that change this. When looking at other threads that discuss a similar problem, someone mentioned a control that was called "*something* and attenuation". I don't have this control on my modify panel even though it was there a few minutes ago.

The "Intensity/Color/Attenuation Rollout " maybe?
If your lights are too bright, turn down the muliplier of the light.
You may also adjust the exposure of the scene
http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/13/...umber=d0e392390

If your render looks washed out in general the Ambient Color settings in the Environment Panel might have changed(yes, it happens sometimes without touching it), it should be black.
http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/13/...umber=d0e390358

Quote: Third problem: I have found a tutorial that showed me how to assume the camera view and move the camera around, but didn't say what key command allows me to leave the camera view. How do I do this?
Any command that brings you to another viewport. By default they should (F)ront, bac(K), (L)eft, (R)ight, (T)op and (P)erspective.
Clicking the viewport cube works too.

07 July 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread