z-depth anti-aliasing problem

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
z-depth anti-aliasing problem

Hi!
i am trying to render a z-depth pass for depth of field with friscflut dof effects in after effeects. But with both renderers(software and mental ray) my passes has crispy edges like on the image. i read about this is ok because these pixels contains information but as you can see on the image they are causing problems on edges.

should i follow a different pipeline?

Thank you
Kind regards

05 May 2013
I've never understood the point of a pixel not having AA for a depth pass. If a pixel is half containing the background and half containing the foreground object, shouldn't it effectively be a blend of those two values?

Otherwise you'll get aliasing in your DOF blurs

You can always render at a higher resolution, precomp and downsize, or use a projected ramp going through the scene and render with normal AA settings

Last edited by sentry66 : 05 May 2013 at 11:51 PM.

05 May 2013
if you're using mentalray passes your zDepth (Camera Depth) should follow everything else and be anti aliased, lest you uncheck 'Filtering'

how did you create your pass ?

Last edited by berniebernie : 05 May 2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: words in the wrong order =D

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by berniebernie: if you're using mentalray passes your zDepth (Camera Depth) should follow everything else and be anti aliased, lest you uncheck 'Filtering'

how are you did you create your pass ?

i actually used both methods. First one rendering 16bit iff images with software. i am basicliy rendering a solid color pass and i am loading that animation with fcheck by opening zbuffer and saving that zbuffer as an another sequence. This is a faster way.

the other method using mental ray depth pas(not remapped one). The result are almost the same but this one takes longer.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by gokalpgonen: i actually used both methods. First one rendering 16bit iff images with software. i am basicliy rendering a solid color pass and i am loading that animation with fcheck by opening zbuffer and saving that zbuffer as an another sequence. This is a faster way.

the other method using mental ray depth pas(not remapped one). The result are almost the same but this one takes longer.

I would advise against using 'Depth channel' in the Render Cameras tickboxes:
http://download.autodesk.com/global...ha_channels.htm (it's aliased in their screenshots)

I recommend instead of outputting your zDepth as a pass that renders when your beauty renders. Making sure you check the right AA options and set the buffer to RGBA Half 4x16bit (and of course output to a capable image format like .exr)

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by berniebernie: I would advise against using 'Depth channel' in the Render Cameras tickboxes:
http://download.autodesk.com/global...ha_channels.htm (it's aliased in their screenshots)

I recommend instead of outputting your zDepth as a pass that renders when your beauty renders. Making sure you check the right AA options and set the buffer to RGBA Half 4x16bit (and of course output to a capable image format like .exr)

i applied this method but the results are the sam. actually i am ok with most of the scenes. problems are barely visible. but for this spesific scene it disturbing. i guees i am going to render that frontal object on a seperate layer and blur it manually.

other than this, what is you best suggestion to give this blur on post? i am using friscflut depth of field and never had a problem before.

05 May 2013
I think aliased z-depth renders work best for selection mechanisms, whereas anti-aliased ones work best for depth-of-field. I use z-depth mostly to add distance haze and fog in my artwork, not for DOF purposes, and when you're working with leaves with CutoutOpacity you need the aliasing to help make clean selections. Of course, you always adjust the selection mask a little bit in post and then blur the haze layer edges a little, too.

Just my 2 cents. Both have uses, depends on what you're trying to do!

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

05 May 2013
I can't tell from your image but another important thing when working with depth and AE is to make sure you are rendering your depth pass at 32-bit and that your AE project is a 32 bit project. If you don't have those you will loose most of your pixel depth information

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread