Career in 3d modeling

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2011
Career in 3d modeling

I want to become a good 3d modeler.
I'm doing my animation diploma(3 year) and Graduation (private) and this is my final year in animation and graduation also. I have no background in art.

I want to learn art so i can model 3d character from my imagination.

Please tell me which is best way

1 BFA ( it takes 4 year)
2 Separate drawing classes

please forgive for bad English

02 February 2011
From my understanding it is always important to start with the basics. If you want to be one of the best modelers, and animators you will need to master drawing. Most schools geared towards that type of art teach only the software, I would recommend (if you're planning on going back to school) to take a fine arts degree.

04 April 2011
yeah, I'm into modeling too, and lately I've taken up anatomical studies. Just taught stuff myself off from e-books and drawing them. Let me tell you, all that info is really amazing. I can't believe I had even tried to model human forms without knowing those stuff.
how skeletons and muscles attach, how the muscles work with each other, the works.

Don't put your entire faith in a college or some institution. Be proactive and try to pick up these now itself. and hey, dont get me wrong. Im NOT saying you are some lazy bugger. :P

Just, you know, try and learn some of the stuff yourself. Things stick with you a lot longer when you do that.

Last edited by gamarala : 04 April 2011 at 02:02 AM.

04 April 2011
It wouldn't hurt to learn some sculpting on the side too.

05 May 2011
From my own experience:

This thread will get a lot of haters so ignore them.

1) College degree is completely unnecessary towards getting a career in 3D. Unless you want to become a teacher, you do not need to go to college. I have a BFA in Animation, and more than 100k in college debt. I learned too late that it was close to useless when it comes to getting a 3D job. If it is not too late, transfer to a smaller school if you just want an art degree. Or try and just get a certificate instead of a 4 year degree.

2) Where you live is paramount in getting a career in 3D. If you live in LA or NY (or a big city since you are in India), you will have an easy time getting work if you are even moderately skilled. If you are like me and live away from everything, then you will be challenged.

3) I have spent the past 7 years learning 3D modeling. If you want to be a character modeler, it will be the most difficult one to succeed at. You MUST know your anatomical forms at an expert level. I currently have no character models in my portfolio because the level of anatomical detail you must achieve is very high. Some people understand it better than others. It is one thing to look at a book, it is another to create it in 3D. Start with hard surface modeling. It is easier to understand.

4) Try and not get depressed from the haters. I've recently gotten back on to it and there are plenty of people out there that will help you. Ignore the people who try and tear you down.

5) Since you posted an interest in creating characters. Try Zbrush, I love it. Some hate it, but it is a wonderful sculpting program.

Best wishes.

05 May 2011
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread