Meet the Artist: Colin Strause, [Hydraulx]

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2006
Originally Posted by Dick Ma: Hi Colin,

Does your company accept overseas applicants for work or internship? if yes, what are you look for? And what is the difficulties when work with them?

And what is your POV about some studios depends more about the applicants to knows about some specific 3D softwares, than their artistic value on their portfolio become less important? Do you think some studios will spend time to train them to suit their workflow if there is difference in workflow?

It hard working with overseas artists because of the visa issues since 9/11. Even with a degree, it can very hard to get the government to allow the artist to work.

Most companys need artists that can use existing tools. I wouldn't hire a lightwave artist because we only use maya, and I don't have the time to re-train someone on big software packages. Doing training on small software, like syflex or z-brush, is common because it only takes a little bit of time before the artist can be productive.

03 March 2006
Thanks Colin.

I'm still remember the Coke ad with Warcraft and S.H.E.

Despite of the 9/11 problem (actually I hate George Bush more) and other visa restrictions, what are you looking for, if you accept overseas applicants? Or what qualities should an oversea applicant have?

I may be more focus on other countries like Australia or Europe but well, it should be happened after many years of time.

And what do you think if it is a good strategy if studying aboard for animation and trying to get a job after graduate? I learn animation skill by myself, but I find it is hard to improve myself and get into the industry.

Yes, I need to shift my toolsets :P .

03 March 2006
Do you have artists presenting "WIP" everday?

Does it affect you if an artist's "WIP" present some elements that are dodgy?

Do you believe that when an artist present something dodgy that they are a bad artist that could not judge their own work?..or do you believe it's part of the process?

Is it important to you for an artist present what they did in a day just to see how the work evolve or direct to?

You as a person who have got your hands dirty doing real production shots. How differs would your comment on a artist work would be comparing to a, let say a producer? Do your make comments based on your core understanding of the work done or shoot your comments blindly?

You present a work and almost everbody could have at least one aspect to comment.Let say your receptionist made a incredible comment would that make the person to replace your artist?

Do you believe that saying and doing is two different thing? Have you ever encountered situation where an artist or your self realized that you had underestimated what you have commented only after get you hands dirty?

Do you prefer artists that shuts his/her mouth most of the time but gets a work done?

A lots of question still but I'll stop here.

03 March 2006
Hi Colin,

Interesting insights to a newbie like me.

A vast portfolio you and Hydraulx have. Very impressive.

How would you see the industry in the coming years?

edit: I cried when i saw the DAT iceberg sequence on big screen for the first time....

Last edited by maranello55 : 03 March 2006 at 10:45 PM.

03 March 2006
Hey Colin... Could you maybe tell us a little more about that opening iceberg sequence? That blew me away! I could not tell what the hell was going on.

EDIT... I hope I didn't come off as too pretentious by my initial post. You seem way laid back by your answers. Thanks.

Last edited by igorstshirts : 03 March 2006 at 02:15 AM.

03 March 2006
Interns?

Once again Mr. Strause thanks again for taking the time to answer some of our questions.

My question to you is do you guys accept internships? If so, what do you look for in the student? I currently go to the Savannah College of Art and Design where I am working 3d and VSFX for my major. It is about time to start thinking about looking for internships.

Thanks again.

03 March 2006
I am sorry guys, but I am having to end this Q&A session!
Many, many thanks to Colin for his participation

(I am sorry, this should have been closed a while back but I've been so busy with a deadline at work that I forgot about closing it!)

Thread Closed share thread