how to model/set up a toilet paper

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2013
how to model/set up a toilet paper

I'm fairly new to maya. I'm currently working on a toilet paper character who is going to unroll himself during a jump.
What is the best way to set him up? should I model him unrolled and rig him into a cylinder? Also, is there an expression I can use to unroll him?

It's the guy in the middle

Thanks

Last edited by tucaojun : 11 November 2013 at 10:33 PM.

11 November 2013
Post your concept design.

11 November 2013
Note that this is not a step by step, you will need to make changes to this based on the orientation of the model as well as some fine tuning.

Model flat.

You can apply 2 bend deformers along the length, the first one start with something small, around 3 for the curvature and highbound around l. This deformer will create the layering effect. The second bend deformer's curvature will be large, the higher the more layers. Set the lowbound to 0 and the highbound to 10. You can move the model through the deformers to get the unrolling effect. You will need to apply another deformer, maybe a sine, to keep it from looking static.

11 November 2013
Originally Posted by fleabay: Note that this is not a step by step, you will need to make changes to this based on the orientation of the model as well as some fine tuning.

Model flat.

You can apply 2 bend deformers along the length, the first one start with something small, around 3 for the curvature and highbound around l. This deformer will create the layering effect. The second bend deformer's curvature will be large, the higher the more layers. Set the lowbound to 0 and the highbound to 10. You can move the model through the deformers to get the unrolling effect. You will need to apply another deformer, maybe a sine, to keep it from looking static.

thank you, I will try that!

11 November 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread