Problem with Boolean file

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Problem with Boolean file

Last week I was working on 3D Max and I used Boolean to attach a text into a cylinder. I used the cut form, fixed all the extra vertex that are added and then I extruded the text. It worked perfectly at the time, I even made a render and it looks okay.

Today when I opened the file to keep on working, the boolean part is all messed up, it's as if it was corrupted. I checked other files to make sure that I wasn't opening an old file, but I checked the 30 files I had saved while working on the boolean and all of them became corrupted. By corrupted I mean that a lot of edges are missing on some letters, and there's literally thousands of polygons on some parts, were before there were just a few.

Does anyone know what the issue is? Any idea on how to fix it?

06 June 2013
I'm afraid the simple answer is "Welcome to Boolean-ville." For what it's worth, since about Max2010 there's been a ProBoolean, which has a relationship to Boolean roughly akin to the relationship between a gunshot wound and a gruesome beating - It's better, but, you know, you've still been beaten up.

In terms of actually helping you with regards to the file, you can "clean" a bit of boolean'd mesh by exporting it as another, non .max format (.fbx might be best) and then re-importing it. If this doesn't work on your current file (or, rather, it has the same problems as your current mesh) then you may need to roll back to an older file and try it just after you boolean (or ProBoolean, if you can - that's found under Compound Objects) when it looked better.

06 June 2013
There's an option in ProBooleans that tries to reduce the poly count by removing edges on flat surfaces, always make sure to turn that off since it's a default feature.
If you didn't convert to editable poly and instead just added modifiers on top of the boolean modifier, then it's possible that it could screw up later if either the main object or the boolean object changes vertex numbering, which is something I've noticed that happens with the last few versions of 3ds Max.

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread