Need suggestions for elephant model

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Need suggestions for elephant model

Hello,

I am modeling an elephant character and I am looking for suggestions. I want the character to look intriguing, not violent or intimidating, inviting, fun, unique and interesting. Initially I just tried to get the topography right, but I would really like to make the model it self more engaging. I'm really not going for a well known style like Disney or Pixar, I just want the elephant to look more like a main character. I think alot has to be done with the eyes. And of course it is too symmetrical. If you have any thoughts as to how I can improve this please share.

I also don't like the profile, but I don't know what to do to improve it.

05 May 2013
If he's a main character, and you're not going for a nature-documentary vibe, you'll want to anthropomorphize him more. Moving the eyes more towards the front of the head is probably the biggest thing, along with widening his mouth and narrowing his trunk so that his expression can be read from the front.

05 May 2013
What about a preliminary character design ? ....

For me (about the profile) there is a problem with the bottom jaw, too smooth, I think its end shall be sharper. The forehead is wrong too, actually I don't know how to say it in english so I am just gonna illustrate it.

Well, I modified it a bit more but here is the idea :

Also, what about his earring ? @_@ ... don't look really cool I think. But, well, this is just a modeled version and I don't know the stoyr. Maybe it is really cool with textures, lighting and story. Right now it makes me thought of a elephant pirate a bit nerd.

05 May 2013
Thank you for the suggestions. This is one idea I was after (a Photoshopped version)

I was thinking I might give him some hair, sunglasses, eyebrows and the earring. This might not be the coolest character, and I DO want to improve him, but this is what I came up with so far.

I agree that I need to give him more human features, and I also agree with the profile advice.

05 May 2013
Maybe if we knew what is the background of your character it will help us define what you can change.

Otherwise, concerning the horns, don't make them point in, instead make them point out :
Not like that -> ()
But like that -> )(

Because right now it gives him an insect-like look.

05 May 2013
Thanks again for all the comments. I must confess that I didn't really have a story in mind when I began developing this character. I just thought to make an elephant, so I just plowed on through that. However, I think I should probably go back to the drawing board and see what the purpose should be for this character before I continue modeling.

I think if I had a better idea of that, then that would yield better (more interesting) results.

Thanks.

- Scott

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread