3D scanning in London - any recommendations?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
3D scanning in London - any recommendations?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a 3D scanning/printing service in London?
I need some products scanned from time to time. Objects like bottles, cosmetics and phones.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by lewisrowe: Does anyone have any recommendations for a 3D scanning/printing service in London?
I need some products scanned from time to time. Objects like bottles, cosmetics and phones.

A loooong time ago, i used a service near Framestore in Soho, but i cant remember the name. They were literally across the road. And they were very good. Very good mesh

Sorry

02 February 2013
Thanks thethule. I'll take a look and see if they are still there.

Also, If anyone else knows of a UK scanning service it would be much appreciated. Cheers.

02 February 2013
I should also add...

Im looking into different approaches for producing reasonably accurate product models.

Approach 1 - Accurate scanner + CAD cleanup app (e.g. NextEngine scanner + Rapid works 3)
Approach 2 - Budget solution for a guide scan then retopo/re-build over the top. (123d Catch + 3D Coat perhaps?)
Approach 3 - Use a 3D scanning service

Has anyone here done their own scanning? Any thoughts or insights?

Cheers.

02 February 2013
Theyre abit down the road, but ive used central-scanning.co.uk before, theyve been fine. We gave them some very tricky items to scan in, tree bark, foam etc.

02 February 2013
Thanks Mathew. I'll check it out.

02 February 2013
We've been doing more and more scanning on projects lately. We use Agisoft Photoscan and depending on the object that needs scanning we alternate between shooting on a turn table with constant lighting and manually shooting around an item.

It's a low budget solution that work really well for our needs, we already owned a couple of decent DSLRs which meant we only really had to invest in the software and the time to try things out.

The evolution of our (very simplistic) set up would be to have multiple cameras shooting in a unison, something like Lee-Perry Smith's incredible set-up - although this is a major undertaking, both in scale and investment.

One thing I would say is that it's a very good idea to make sure you're aware of the limitations of scanning. For example, all of the current methods of scanning have difficulty when it comes to reflective and transparent surfaces. There are multiple ways to get around this - I tend to just spray the item with a matt grey paint for example, but it's not always possible.

The most important factor for me is how useful the scan actually is. By that I mean I have yet to scan something and use the raw data or even build/re-build directly on top of it. Instead I tend to use it for objects we need in 3D that are notoriously difficult to shoot reference for; organic objects such as body parts, food, complex non symmetrical forms like shoes/trainers...etc. but still create the models 'traditionally'.

For some objects it would actually take much longer to shoot a turn-around, generate a scan, align it and then build on top of that, than it would to simply modelling it normally. In the case of products that have been manufactured by accurate machining or moulded parts 99.9% of the time you would be better off just creating them from scratch.

Another thing to consider is that if you have the finished product in your hands, do you need a 3d model of it? More often than not our services are only required when something has yet to be made or if the clients needs something creative doing that is beyond the scope of just photography. We will sometimes use the scan data as a placeholder for items in a CG scene that will eventually be replaced with photography, so that we get cheap but reasonably accurate light bounce, reflections...etc. to work with but the final item will be retouched photography.

Anyway, I hope something in all of that text is of help, if not or if you have any specific questions let me know.

Last edited by AJ : 02 February 2013 at 12:42 PM.

02 February 2013
Thanks AJ! Thats really helpful. It confirms some things things I was thinking.
You're right of course, Its probably quicker to model from scratch in many cases. But for things like detailed nozzles on deodorant packs etc it could be useful. I'll have to try it and see. Theres some clever CAD semi-auto cleanup techniques these days that I didn't know about before. But even then Im sure it takes time.
I'll check out Agisoft PhotoScan. Do you use the standard edition or the pro?

Things are getting interesting. Now we have 3D scanning and printing theres this potential for CG printed props for photo shoots and likewise real world props inside of a CGI scene. all interchangeable.
Its going to be strange too seeing in the not too distant future things like printed cars and bikes - without seams, nuts, bolts or rivets.

Last edited by lewisrowe : 02 February 2013 at 01:49 PM.

02 February 2013
No problem! We use the standard, it's ridiculously cheap. As far as I understand it the pro version is aimed at those doing geographical scanning - this might be untrue and there are other advantages but the standard versions works like a charm.

I know what you mean about how things are blending together, it's exciting!

02 February 2013
Standard version - sounds good. Cheers AJ.

02 February 2013
If you're willing to try, I've seen very good results with people jury rigging an x-box kinect to do scanning... lemme see if I can find a link...

Yeah, check this out... http://blog.ponoko.com/2012/12/10/f...nto-3d-scanner/

02 February 2013
Thats very interesting badsearcher.
I love the fact people are building powerful tech by bolting domestic products like Kinect to custom software.
Like the guy who sent his iPhone up in a weather balloon and it came back with stunning shots of earth from space. His own little home made space mission. Its that thrill of the David and Goliath.
I used to joke that it would be great to attempt the land speed record by gaffer taping a Boeing 747 engine to a Robin Reliant. Then this came along.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJdrlWR-yFM

02 February 2013
That. was bizarre, thank you.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by lewisrowe: Thats very interesting badsearcher.
I love the fact people are building powerful tech by bolting domestic products like Kinect to custom software.
Like the guy who sent his iPhone up in a weather balloon and it came back with stunning shots of earth from space. His own little home made space mission. Its that thrill of the David and Goliath.
I used to joke that it would be great to attempt the land speed record by gaffer taping a Boeing 747 engine to a Robin Reliant. Then this came along.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJdrlWR-yFM

That would be great, but be careful to avoid getting a Darwin award. I fellow tried that and ended up in a canyon wall.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread