Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-26-2013, 04:24 AM   #46
heat1996
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Hello folks,

Here's the latest WIP.

I will add the railings and whatever else I may need to add once I get feedback.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #47
heat1996
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Hello folks,

Here's my final with railings and all.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #48
Jonatan-Moonchild
Expert

portfolio
Jonatan Cwiakalski
Wroclaw, Poland

Hi Eddie. Sorry for late feedback (you mentioned that this is final) but if you still want it...
This is still great, but I liked more some aspects in your previous version. For example it was more bright, more sunny. Now it looks a bit like the sun was eclipsed for a moment by a little half-transparent cloud.

About the perspective - maybe it could be a little bit adjusted here and there... But multiple vanishing points don't bother me - there's not such thing like "one general" vanishing point in real world. In fact I think it looks much more interesting when there's more angles than 0 and 90 degrees in the scene.

About details - I would prefer something between current sharp and dirty look and previous - more smooth. What I mean is visible for example on green metal in upper left corner.

But at the end - almost everything I wrote here is expression of my own preferences. If you see it different - simply ignore it . In general - this is still one of my favorite visions of Flussdorf in this contest.

Regards
Jonatan

Old 11-04-2013, 02:53 AM   #49
heat1996
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonatan-Moonchild
Hi Eddie. Sorry for late feedback (you mentioned that this is final) but if you still want it...
This is still great, but I liked more some aspects in your previous version. For example it was more bright, more sunny. Now it looks a bit like the sun was eclipsed for a moment by a little half-transparent cloud.

About the perspective - maybe it could be a little bit adjusted here and there... But multiple vanishing points don't bother me - there's not such thing like "one general" vanishing point in real world. In fact I think it looks much more interesting when there's more angles than 0 and 90 degrees in the scene.

About details - I would prefer something between current sharp and dirty look and previous - more smooth. What I mean is visible for example on green metal in upper left corner.

But at the end - almost everything I wrote here is expression of my own preferences. If you see it different - simply ignore it . In general - this is still one of my favorite visions of Flussdorf in this contest.

Regards
Jonatan

Hey Jonatan,

I'd be a fool to ignore your critique. It helps. I'll be sure and take a look at any details that could use some adjustment. You're right about the brighter version. I'm leaning toward the that version myself and will bump up the sunshine a bit. And I will be sure and add a bit more detail (like the upper left corner you talked about). I really appreciate the tips. They really help when you're the only one staring at this thing constantly - another pair of helpful eyes is always good.

As far as the perspective, it doesn't bother me either. My philosophy is "as long as it looks cool, I'm happy." Besides, when a matte painting is in a shot, audiences are not going to be in the theater or in front of their screen holding a perspective grid/diagram up to the film.

As long as it passes the eye test, I'm satisfied with it. I'd assume the judges of this contest feel the same way you and I do - since they haven't really gone into it much if at all in their feedback.

Anyhow thanks Jonatan.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #50
Jonatan-Moonchild
Expert

portfolio
Jonatan Cwiakalski
Wroclaw, Poland

Hi Eddie. I'm glad that you found something useful in my happy writing. Keep working and never give up! The deadline stands above us with his scary giant ax. Let's fight him!

James, I hope you didn't take my post here as a personal attack on you. Eddie asked for feedback and we gave it to him (everyone with his own (vanishing ) point of view). That's what this threads are for.

About "pointing out to Jonatan some technical info regarding vanishing points"... Sorry but you didn't point me anything new.
By the way No. 1 - If we talk about technical info, you present only so-called one point perspective. It is simplified perspective and "basic laws of reality" are not based on that, if we would like to be precise.
By the way No. 2 - "you cannot have 4 different vanishing points on the same side of a building"? If you take a look closer, you will see that even in provided for this contest plate not everything leads to one vanishing point. Not even on the same side of the building.
By the way No. 3 - I see no point in writing who studied what. I studied Building Industry for example, and - also for example - I had a diagrammatic geometry... so what? Let's use reason, not papers.

About the perspective - I'm not trying to prove that parallel lines are not parallel. I'm trying to prove that not all lines should be parallel. Why Gaudi shouldn't create his buildings? Why Tim Burton shouldn't create his vision of "Alice in wonderland"? And finally (maybe in a bit smaller scale ) why we should build "Regular (...) buildings" in this contest? This is Flussdorf - a city "seamlessly carved into the rock". Lying along the river and it has something from "old Tunisian Suk". Not everything here must look like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:O...perspective.jpg
I wrote to Eddie that there could be some adjustments here and there, but on the other hand... is it really obligatory to be absolute precise? Most people go to the cinema for great visions, ideas, fun etc. Not to track vanishing points. If they feel it's real (on the cinema way of course) then why all edges should be exactly parallel? I think the best way is to focus on feeling the image, with rules somewhere in back of the head. Rules are very important of course, but they should help not hamper, restrain us. Especially simplified rules (if you would like to use only Newtonian mechanics, many inventions would not exist).

If you still want to discuss about perspective, why not to create new thread for this? It could be quite interesting - I imagine some pub for artists on Kreola. We sitting there, tasting good beer, gossiping about Flussdorf... Suddenly, when bartender in some steampunk hat on his head brought us another pitcher, you say: "OK Jonatan let's talk about perspective". I'm curious... where that kind of discussion could lead after, let's say... fifth beer. Well... Gaudi could be proud . I would come to this pub from time to time .

Regards
Jonatan

P.S. Please forgive us Eddie for this little off-topic in your thread, I hope you don't mind... If you don't want it here, let me know and I will delete this post.

Last edited by Jonatan-Moonchild : 11-04-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #51
Emptyshell
making things frm nothing

portfolio
Jonah Booth-Remmers
Adelaide, Australia

Nice work on the finish Eddie, congrats!!

Old 11-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #52
kabanf

portfolio
Aleksander Caban
Art Director, Co-founder at Rara Avis Foundation and Carbon Studio
Carbon Studio
Gliwice, Poland

nice work!

adding something to discussion about perspective, one-point perspective is simple way. sometimes its ok, but sometimes you can do more when you playing with it. For example, Pieter Bruegel in his "way to calvary" used 7 perspectives mixed up. But u can see that, only if u will study this artwork very intensiv. It isn't obvious in first look, and it dosen't look like mistake.

According to your work, it looks more natural if u are not clean in that thing. Reality isn't clean

Old 11-11-2013, 04:01 AM   #53
Yatzenty
Frequenter

portfolio
Jacek Irzykowski
Matte Painter and Environment Concept Artist
Sydney, Australia

Fantastic work Eddie! That Jade green works perfectly for steam punk doesn't it? I'm pretty sure you'll make the podium. Great effort

Last edited by Yatzenty : 11-12-2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: wrong name used, my bad..

Old 11-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #54
Jonatan-Moonchild
Expert

portfolio
Jonatan Cwiakalski
Wroclaw, Poland

Fantastic work! It was one of my favorites from the beginning. And still is! Good luck!

Regards
Jonatan

Old 11-15-2013, 12:35 AM   #55
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

I haven't been involved in this challenge or thread as much as I'd have liked to be, but this issue of perspective is interesting. While I'm on the side of "correct perspective is better" than multiple VPs, I thought I'd relate something I heard from Syd Mead many years ago.

I think we can all agree the man knows something about laying out city-scapes and expansive vistas, even if they don't fall into the photo-real rendering category of DMPs. After a talk he gave, I asked him if he ever thought of using computers to do basic perspective layouts (this was when personal computers were fairly new). His answer was "Oh, heavens no! None of my perspectives are technically correct and my images would look entirely different if I tried to make them accurate." I thought that was an interesting example of not using technically accurate perspective, but obviously working within a realm that's still believable to the eye, at least upon first look.

As with so many things (music, art, design, etc.) it's generally better to learn the basics in order to be able to effectively deviate from them.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:14 AM   #56
bpsola
Frequenter

portfolio
Bryan Sola
sta. rosa, Philippines

still my bet. this is the steamiest entry good job mr. smith!

Old 11-16-2013, 05:24 AM   #57
heat1996
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpsola
still my bet. this is the steamiest entry good job mr. smith!

Mine may be the steamiest - literally lol...But yours is the best. You have my vote bigtime. I'd be perfectly at peace if you win this contest. Yours is awesome - hands down. No joke.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #58
bpsola
Frequenter

portfolio
Bryan Sola
sta. rosa, Philippines

i'll be at peace if YOU win

Old 11-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #59
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread