Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
SuperSparkplug
portfolio
Jordan Sparks
Toronto, Canada

Exclamation Locked Influences Problem

For a while now, I've been practicing in Maya and have hit a huge roadblock when it came to applying influence to my rig. Everytime I try to edit the influence on my model with the Skin Weights tool, I get this error.
// Warning: Specified weight could not be set due to locked influences.

Then, if I go back to what I was painting, the Influence I added, no matter what value I had on the tool appears as completely white as a value of 1. As you might be able to imagine, this is incredibly problematic for animation purposes.

The only way I've found so far to fix this is to switch the Paint Weights tool from Interactive mode to Post mode. The error doesn't appear in Post mode, but the problem is now parts of the model can have simultaneous influence from different joints, whereas Interactive mode usually rectified this, and it does tend to cause issues later on.

Why is Interactive Mode not working properly? What can I do to fix it?

Old 06-11-2013, 01:55 AM   #2
nfd77
Aspiring Artist

portfolio
Nick DuPree
Chicago, USA

You know that little lock icon in the paint weights tool next to the influence? That locks/unlocks your influences. In Maya 2013 you need to select the influence and then click the lock icon. In 2014 you just need to click the lock icon next to the influence.

The reason why post mode was working for you is because it is post normalization. This means that a vertex will not always have a weight value of 1 so it is allowing you to add on more influence regardless of its lock status.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
SuperSparkplug
portfolio
Jordan Sparks
Toronto, Canada

It's not the lock problem. I've gone through this many times and have read similarly, however none of the influences are locked at all. I've tried locking and unlocking as well, and yet I still get told that all my influences are locked. I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread